Question and clarification on Atlassian licensing

Dennis Gibbs September 16, 2014

We are planning a large installation of Atlassian products at my customer's site.  We have purchased JIRA, JIRA Agile, Confluence, Crucible, Fisheye, and Stash.  I'm confused about the installation and licensing process and can't seem to find a straightforward answer to these questions:

1. We will be supporting a very large number of users - we have purchased 10,000+ user licenses.  As a result, we want to install each product on their own separate servers so that each product will be installed on a dedicated server.  But, I know that some of the tools (like JIRA and JIRA Agile) are very tightly integrated - in fact, as I understand it, JIRA Agile is really just an extension of JIRA itself.  Does this mean the JIRA Agile bits MUST be installed on the same server as JIRA itself?  Or can JIRA Agile be installed on a separate dedicated server?
  2. If the answer to #1 requires them to be installed on the same server, are any of the other Atlassian products this way?  Can Fisheye, for example, be installed on its own dedicated server?  What about Crucible, Confluence, and Stash?
  3. Does Atlassian licensing allow us to install these Atlassian products on virtualized servers?  I know this configuration is not technically supported in all cases, but would it be a violation of the licensing agreement to install them on virtualized servers if we are willing to assume the technical risk?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide - I am new to Atlassian products.

1 answer

2 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2014

Hi Dennis,

1. JIRA Agile is an add-on, an extension as you said. And it only can be installed from within the JIRA in the administration section. I belive that's the only way to install it since it can't be installed directly on the server.
  2. Confluence, Crucible, Fisheye and Stash can be installed on its own dedicated server. I have them like that.
  3. Altough it's not recommended to be installed on virtualized servers there's no problem doing that at your own risk. At first I had all applications in virtualized servers until I had the resources to buy actual servers.

Hope this helps!

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2014

Actually Crucible+Fisheye are paired, they cannot be installed separately. Moreover, if you are using subversion (and I assume you are because there are better review/insight tools for git), it should be co-hosted with the subversion server, or at least the repos be accessible via the file:// scheme.

Julia Wester [Wittified]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2014

You can have fisheye without crucible and vice versa actually. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CRUCIBLE/Crucible+and+FishEye "Both of these products can run in isolation. If you are using Subversion, Git, Mercurial, CVS or Perforce you can significantly enhance your Crucible experience by also using FishEye."

Suggest an answer