Pull all submodules automatically in SourceTree app?

I've setup a repository with submodules to pull a load of themes down for Espresso app — I obviously don't want to do anything with these, just keep them up to date. It seems an easier way than creating a local repository for each, but is there an easy way to pull down the latest versions of each without having to do this manually?

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Unfortunately there's not, you'll have to open each submodule pull the changes and then commit those to your primary repository. When you pull a submodule you change the commit that the parent is tracking so you'll have to do this. If you're often updating/committing your submodules you're better off having separate repositories.

Hope that helps

That's a shame, It seems it's possible via command line:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1030169/git-easy-way-pull-latest-of-all-submodules

Submodules seem a better clutter-free solution for an app's plugins, which might only see one or two changes in a month — is the above something that could be added as a custom script? Never done that before and I'm likely to mess it up!

Be great to see this in SourceTree if it is possible, for this kind of scenario it's handy.

Yep, I would also enjoy this function, app plugins and libraries really win with submodules, so it's something that should be encouraged with a proper implementation in sourceTree.

Is this still the case? We use submodules on a daily basis, it would be nice to just pull the changes and set the submodule to the right commit automatically right from the main repo

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published 8 hours ago in Marketplace Apps

The 7 hacks of highly successful automation

...there's anything I've learnt from working, it's that people are lazy! No offense to anyone reading this, but it's true and we can all admit it. The easier you make something for someone, the more...

42 views 0 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you