Project status and phase

Our company splits a project in to a number of development phases (Proposal Phase, Define Phase, Construct Phase, etc) and a number of Admin statuses (Pending, Open, In-Progress, Invoiced, Closed, etc).

I would like to be able to tag or somehow indicate the current phase and status of the JIRA project. Also ideally I would like to be able to restrict certain issues from being created unless the project is in a certain phase.

I would expect to see a tab perhaps in the project browser view where I could view/edit the phase or status of the project.

I have tried to investigate ways of doing this, one option is perhaps using issue schemes, but I still want to be able to view the status/phase.

Also would be nice to see the status/phase in the Summary tab of the project browser view.

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

For this I ended up creating special issue types to indicate the transition of these project phases. If the special issue was closed then the project transition is considered complete.

You could use the Project Portfolio Management technique I describe in this post : http://www.petervandevoorde.com/2013/02/26/project-portfolio-management-with-jira-and-greenhopper/

It might help you out in the visualization departement.

This widget could not be displayed.
Hi Mike, there was a nice idea in https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/47708/can-you-automatically-update-the-project-category-using-a-workflow to represent the current project status as project category.

So when a project goes through the different project phases, one would just assign a project category corresponding to the current phase. The linked answer shows how you can programmatically update the category in a post function. Using the script runner plugin one could also write a groovy validator that checks if the projects category has a specific value, i.e. thevproject is in a specific status.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Teamwork

What teamwork quotes inspire you?

Hey everyone! My name is Natalie and I'm an editor of the Atlassian Blog and I've got a question for you: What's your favorite quote about teamwork?  We've compiled a list here, along with...

171 views 18 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you