Project setup problem or how to set permission to project role to see issues of specific issue types only?

Hi,

I have like 10+ core projects created in Jira. Those projects are product based as they represent standalone application/module with it's own version/release cycle. Inside those projects I have several teams/project roles working (Dev,QA..etc)

On the other hand there are some teams that take part in pretty much everyone of those core projects. Teams like design/operations/copywrite etc. At first I ended up creating one project (design/operations/copywrite) per such team so they can work on their own stuff (like ops have work not necessarily related to core projects).

This setup seems great but there is a problem. When I create stories I am not able to create sub-tasks that are in different projects (design/operations/copywrite). If I use linking, Kanbanb/Scrum boards for example will not account for those links and I will end up using custom queries for creating swimlines.

As a result (to keep stories/sub tasks structure) I am end up creating sub-tasks inside the core projects like sub-copywrite/sub-ops/sub-design that are to be used to not break a story as a structure.

Issue with this setup though is how I give permission to design team for example to see only issues/sub-issues of specific issue type (subtask-design for example) because ultimately I don't want the design team to see work of all other devs in core projects. I know there are issue security schemes that might fit this just fine but I have the feeling I am overcomplicating this and I'd like to hear sound feedback from someone who have tackled such problems.

Thank you,

JD

1 answer

1 accepted

Just adding my 2 cents here.

Here is the approach I would take

1. Product wise project setup

2. Teams that work across projects will be setup in groups

3. Teams that have to be per project will be setup as project roles

4. Issue security schemes to take care of who can see what. And a post function to set issue security based on the issue type

Well that sounds reasonable enough but how do I accomplish point 4. Do I need to write my own plugin for that? Could you give me some pointers please how to accomplish it.

You will need to write your own plugin or just run a script using the scriptrunner plugin

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

246 views 4 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you