Project Based Access

Stephen Jackson October 8, 2013

I just want to create individual groups, assign users to those groups and that group is the only group that can see that project. I don't want to create an individual permission scheme each time. Any help would be appriciated.

2 answers

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2013

What i understand from your question is you want to restrict the visibility of your project by adding a project-specific group to the browse project permissions in your permission scheme and since you have multiple projects you are forced to create a new permissions scheme each time.

What i recommend you is to create a new project role say R/W Users and add this project role to your permission scheme. This way you can use the same permission scheme for all your projects (and not create new ones per project)

For each project the project admin can then add the necessary people or group to the project role R/W Users.

This way you also pass on the administration of project level access to the project admins.

Here's the link to the project roles and how to configure them

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Role+Membership

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Roles

Hope this helps

Rahul

0 votes
John Bishop
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2013

The only way to restrict access to projects is to create a permission scheme for that project, and then give access only to the group.

If you don't want to manually create the permission scheme each time, then you'll need to look into ways to automate it. You'd probably need to create some plugin which could associate groups with projects and automatically generate the permission schemes.

Stephen Jackson October 8, 2013

Thanks, that's unfortunate.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2013

Um, that's not quite true.

You can define ONE permission scheme, which says things like "browse: role developer". Then in project 1, put group 1 into the developer role, for project 2, put group 2 into the developer role and so on.

It's not quite as simple as "add user to group", but it's as close as you'll get.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2013

agree with you NIc...

Suggest an answer