Problem updating plugins from UPM page.

Kathleen Buckley March 21, 2013

Having problems updating plugins frum the UPM page. Only works about 20% of the time.

The message for the last plugin I tried to update is:

Problem accessing add-on file at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/download/plugins/org.swift.jira.cot/version/320.

I'm running JIRA 5.1.7, UPM version 2.9.1

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kathleen Buckley July 22, 2013

We think our problem may be related in part to our firewall rules. So I'll just keep working with our helpdesk to get this working.

6 votes
Gerald Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2013

I found a solution for my problem. It turned out to be the SSL certificate of CloudFront.

According to this documentation the Universal Plugin Manager needs access to *.atlassian.com and https://dq1dnt4af4eyy.cloudfront.net/ to get Plugins and Updates from the Market Place. Since everything else worked (DNS, wget to both addresses) this was the only thing left I could think of.

Following this article I used portecle to download the SSL certificate of dq1dnt4af4eyy.cloudfront.net and add it as a trusted certificate to the systemwide certification store (/etc/ssl/certs/java/cacerts in my case). After a restart of Confluence (I had the problem with all Atlassian Tools on this server instance) it worked flawlessly.

Downside: The certificate expires this year on November 14th, so when this happens I'll try to get the chain right.

Commands to easily add the certificates to cacerts:

echo -n | openssl s_client -connect marketplace.atlassian.com:443 | sed -ne '/-BEGIN CERTIFICATE-/,/-END CERTIFICATE-/p' > atlassian.cert
sudo keytool -import -alias atlassian.com -file atlassian.cert -keystore /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/lib/security/cacerts

Make sure the path to cacerts matches to your installation. 

Michael Brinson October 14, 2014

Thanks so much for posting this Gerald. Very helpful! Found myself in the same boat and your solution fixed it.

3 votes
pschaff01
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2013

Hi there,

Did you try to download this plugin's .jar file and upload it into JIRA?

To do this, just click on "upload file" in the "Manage Add-Ons" tab and try to perform the upgrade like this.

Also, there is the other possiblity which is to do the "manual" procedure. To do this method, just shutdown JIRA, browse through <<JIRA_HOME>>/plugins and look for the .jar file of this plugin inside the installed-plugins folder. Completely delete this .jar file and then paste the downloaded version inside this folder (so you can have the latest version installed in JIRA without passing by the web upgrade process).

A reindex may be needed after the second procedure.

I hope this helps!

Cheers

Kathleen Buckley March 25, 2013

It does work manually, but I'd like to know if there is a way to fix it so it works the way it should (via UPM). It's a lot faster updating plugins via the UPM than it is doing it manually as I don't have to stop/start services when I do it via UPM.

mete May 6, 2019

It's works, thank you.

0 votes
Michael Brinson October 14, 2014

So has this cropped up as an issue for you again Gerald? I tried your solution below and I assumed it would fix the issue, but actually it did not. Now I'm wondering if it's just a temporary problem Atlassian is having.

0 votes
Kathleen Buckley September 24, 2014

Our problem was with out firewall. Our IT people fixed it.

0 votes
Gerald Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2014

I have the same problem. I can download the file from the link provided and install it manually, it's just the automatic update that doesn't work.

0 votes
Kathleen Buckley July 22, 2013

Thanks. I’ve forwarded your fix to our IT people to see if this is what they did OR in case your solution was better than theirs.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events