Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem to install Stash 1.3.0

Deleted user October 15, 2012

Hi,

I'm running on Tomcat6, JRE6, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I have problems with installing stash 1.3.0, I got the following error when I go to the page http://37.59.59.205:8080/stash/unavailable :

A fatal error has occurred

The following problem occurred which prevents Atlassian Stash from starting correctly:

The Spring WebApplicationContext could not be started

(cf. log)

Thanks for your help :)

Huy

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bryan Turner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 15, 2012

Huy,

As discussed on your support.atlassian.com ticket, this is caused by having Log4J in the classpath for Stash. Stash uses Logback and SLF4J, and it uses log4j-over-slf4j to support frameworks which have coded explicitly to Log4J's API. Because it uses log4j-over-slf4j, Log4J itself must not be in the classpath.

If you are deploying Stash into a Tomcat which is hosting Confluence or JIRA (or any other Atlassian webapp), you must separate it. The Tomcats for those webapps include Log4J in their lib/ directories, as they have not converted to Logback, and will cause the Stash webapp to fail.

Hope this helps!

0 votes
GregS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2012

That stinks! I just encountered this problem and came across this post (I guess this explains the stack overflow error in catalina.out that gets thrown for the two jar files: log4j and slf4j). I think it is bizarre that the Atlassian suite of products does not share code base for stuff like logging, and thus make their products not play nicely together. I REALLY want to run everything in the same Tomcat stack for ease of management, but alas...

0 votes
Ellery Blank November 8, 2012

I am running stash on its own Centos 6.3. Should I remove Log4j completely? How do I remove it from the classpath?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events