Private Area for Tasks

Lukas Rabe October 27, 2011

How can i create an area for Tasks for myself? Without any connection to a project.

2 answers

7 votes
Beth Schaefermann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2011

I thought this was an interesting idea and pushed an internal discussion on whether a personal project would be attractive to our users.

We have a support project set up where reporters can only see their own tickets. We could set up an additional project with a similar configuration and call it something like "My personal project." Then only sys admins and the individual users could see the issues they create in their personal project without having to set up a billion personal projects. The versioning scheme could just be weekly versions.

Then people could see their personal tasks in context of their work tasks. I think that would work...

Beth Schaefermann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2011

Some feedback:

"Please do this! I think about how nice it would be to have this for personal tasks every time I go into Jira, for exactly the same reasons you listed—adoption (you’re in there all the time, so put it all in one place), avoiding extra tools (get this stuff off of scraps of paper or Outlook tasks), etc. Even if people didn’t use it for their personal non-business tasks, I see value in being able to use it for things like change benefit elections, check my vacation balance, review my objectives for the year, change 401k contributions, change address in Oracle, etc. My only concern would be making it clear who has access to see the projects/tasks."

My response: "It would have the same security scheme as the Atlassian Support Project. So on every ticket there would be red text that read "Reporters and Atlassian Tools Support (Reporters and the Atlassian Tools Support can access these issues)" <--Note we call our JIRA-Admins "Atlassian Tools Support"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2011

The basic trick behind it is to create a project where the permissions say "browse = reporter browse only" - that's a special flag you have to enable in a config file.

Like Deleted user likes this
Beth Schaefermann
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 27, 2011

I am going to test it out on staging next week and will report back on how it goes. The other concern reported was defaulting the Assignee to the reporter and limiting issue assignment to the reporter, which likely translates to creation of a separate permissions scheme instead of direct re-use of the support project's permissions scheme.

Steven Bonfante February 1, 2018

I know the original string on this subject started a while ago but did anything ever come if it?

Like Tim Wilburn likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2018

Nope.  People used a to-do project as above, or Trello

David Gray February 10, 2018

Is that working? What are the pros & cons? It seems like the best alternative, but before rolling that out to the company (on my third week) I want to make sure I've thought it through.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2011

You can't create issues outside a project.

With a bit of tinkering, you can create a project that will act as a private to-do list for anyone who needs it though.

Lukas Rabe October 27, 2011

Ok thank you :)

Gregory Schwedock April 30, 2018

Here's a deeper dive into this idea and all the permissions settings to use.

Like Tony Sheen likes this

Suggest an answer