Preserving the order (priority) of issues when importing (CSV)

Jeremy Osborn May 16, 2012

When importing a CSV file into an OnDemand version of Jira, how can I preseve the order (priority) of my issues? The resulting order in Jira seems to be random. I attempted to use "rank" values that don't conflict with our existing issues, but the result remained the same (random order) and after inspecting the issues in the "issue browser" I can see that the provided rank value was not assigned in the import process.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Pawel Niewiadomski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2012

I create an issue at https://studio.atlassian.com/browse/JIM-751 to track this problem. I'm not sure if we ever supported that (I understand that Rank field is available in the selection, but implementation might be trickier than that). Going to schedule it with other issues.

Jeremy Osborn May 21, 2012

Apprecaited.

Jeremy Osborn May 21, 2012

Appreciated.

Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2012

Ranking field in modern version of GreenHopper (when it was switched to use AO) is a special field which is not compatible with how JIRA Importers Plugin set custom field values. I.e. it ignores whatever we set there. We will probably need to use GH API for setting the ranking.

Franz Harmer August 10, 2012

Hi all, I'm quite fresh to Greenhopper and JIRA, but have been customising it for a day now and think it will work out nicely for us.

I've reformatted our backlog to come together with the JIRA/GH philosophy, but am lacking the possibility to map GH fields during a JIRA CSV import. I have not yet found a GH CSV import to add agile data:

Story points, Business Value, Rank and Sprint

to the issues I imported previously.

I'm in the lucky position that the project we will start with has a relaxed backlog of 160 issues, of which about 40 are current. We are a creative digital agency with software projects that typically do not span years or 100s of people. I think that if I was into more "serious" software, with 100s of linked backlogs, this would be a total dealbreaker.

If anyone does have an import-based solution, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks, Franz

PS: I looked at the issue link you list which now links to a dead page.

J June 27, 2013

Hi all, was there a resolution to the ordering problem with the import/GreenHopper board? The JIRA that was created by Pawel no longer exists: https://studio.atlassian.com/browse/JIM-751

I'm still seeing that my imported issues are showing in random order in the Backlog section of the GreenHopper board. How is rank being set at the time of creation when you don't specify a rank to begin with?

Wojtek Seliga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2013

Jenny, JIM project is now tracked on ecosystem.atlassian.net and https://studio.atlassian.com/browse/JIM-751 should redirect you to https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/JIM-751.

But this feature hasn't been yet implemented. CSV importer creates issues in random order (not as they were listed in CVS) and they are automatically put at the end of the current backlog. That's why effectively you see random ranking order.

J June 28, 2013

Thanks for the clarification Wojciech.

0 votes

Hi all, I'm quite fresh to Greenhopper and JIRA, but have been customising it for a day now and think it will work out nicely for us.

I've reformatted our backlog to come together with the JIRA/GH philosophy, but am lacking the possibility to map GH fields during a JIRA CSV import. I have not yet found a GH CSV import to add agile data:

Story points, Business Value, Rank and Sprint

to the issues I imported previously.

I'm in the lucky position that the project we will start with has a relaxed backlog of 160 issues, of which about 40 are current. We are a creative digital agency with software projects that typically do not span years or 100s of people. I think that if I was into more "serious" software, with 100s of linked backlogs, this would be a total dealbreaker.

If anyone does have an import-based solution, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks, Franz

0 votes

I think I0I'm having the same issue with this, as well as story

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2012

Priority is a field which has values that you determine, you should be able to map them on import.

Rank is a little different, but essentially still a field with values - you should have included a rank field on import, told the importer to map csv-rank to your custom field rank and imported it. If you weren't offered a mapping on import then you need to check the data in the import sheet, and that your rank custom field is available.

Jeremy Osborn May 16, 2012

Thanks for clarifying, and by "priority" I did indeed mean "rank" - i.e., the order in which the stories are listed (high to low value). To further clarify, I did provide a csv-rank column and I did map it to the jira-rank field, but to no avail. The order was not preserved. When I viewed the records in the "issue browser" (using JQL), the reflected rank values were not what I had imported.

Suggest an answer