Preserve issue numbers from data migration?

Build Monkey July 5, 2012

I am doing some investigation on data migration and do not see what happens when a project's data has been imported. The CSV file contains a column with existing IDs for the issues. Do those IDs get preserved in JIRA, or do they get mapped to another number. If so, how do I know what the new numbers are? I would like to then go back and import attachments and comments associated with these issues in a second third pass. If I only have the original numbers, how can I do this?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 vote
Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2012

Hey,

Most of answers here do not take into consideration newest features available as of JIRA Importers Plugin (JIM) version 4.3.

1. Preserving issue key. JIM can create for you while importing from CVS an issue with the exact issue key you specified in CSV. Just define which column from your CSV file is mapped to Issue Key.

2. JIM can update already existing issues (if an issue pointed to by the mapped Issue Key column already exists) and thus you can easily add comments and attachments to existing issues in multiple passes.

Cheers,

Wojtek

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2012

Very good point, the more recent versions of the importer are a lot more flexible, if you are on a Jira that supportes them.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2012

For CSV, Jira will create issues with IDs as though a user had typed them in one at a time. e.g. if your project has ABC-123 as the latest issue, and you import items from CSV, line 1 will be ABC-124, line 2 will be ABC-125 and so-on. The id in the file can be imported like any other custom field, but won't be used as the Jira key. If you plan carefully, you can set up the project so that it starts at the right number and then use dummy padding lines in the file, as Bob says.

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2012

Migrations aren't fun :(. If you do some scripting with the JIRA Command Line Interface you can create issues in order. If there is a gap in the issue key number, create a dummy issue and delete it. It makes it easy to handle attachments and perserver commit messages. Here is my Migration story.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 5, 2012

If you use project restore, those ids will be preserved. This will wipe out all existing data in the project though.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup

If you import from CSV, they won't. And there won't be any mapping to the previous ids.

Build Monkey July 5, 2012

this isn't good. I have an unknown number of attachments and comments for a given issue. I have to put them in along with the rest of the issue information because I can't map the ids (old to new JIRA id number)? This is going to be extremely difficult!

Suggest an answer