Preparing for upgrade to v4

David Stephensen November 14, 2012

Hello

I also posted this in Enterprise Hosting Support https://support.atlassian.com/browse/EHSP-34238. I want to start trying to upgrade some of the material in our Atlassian-hosted site to v4 before it closes down.

I have read that the simplest way to do this is to have the spaces in an installation of 3.5 and then upgrade the installation to the latest v4. Apparently the update to the database happens automatically.

Question 1

We have a number of user macros in frequent use. An early experiment with upgrade of a small space to 4 did not go well. The macros just got included as text, curly brackets and all. How can I find out about transitioning the macros smoothly? When I upgrade, for example, do all of the macros suddenly become unknown and I then go and set up new ones in v4 with the same names? I am having trouble getting my brain around the actual user experience of doing the upgrade. Can you help?

Question 2

We are planning to have some spaces hosted elsewhere and stay with v3.5 for a while. Others we want to upgrade to v4. For the ones to upgrade to v4, according to my current understanding, I'd need to set up a separate 3.5 installation, install the spaces into it and then upgrade it to v4. To do this I'd propose to install a standalone version of Confluence on my computer. Is the evaluation version adequate for that or do I need to do the full install with the windows zip file? Do I need the external database as well? I want to be able to edit the spaces and export them for use in a proper hosted installation.

Question 3

What services are available for help with this transition?

Thanks for your help.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2013

Hi David,

It seems that your questions were answered in that ticket by my colleague Matthew but let me put here the answers to help other customers as well. This would apply to Hosted instances only.

The upgrade process for you basically involves:

1. You log a support ticket here at https://support.atlassian.com requesting an upgrade (to a specific version if you choose)
  2. We'll ask you when you want it
  3. We'll schedule the upgrade
  4. Our hosted partners contegix will complete it and let you know when it's done

If you want to host some spaces on 3.5 you should take a space backup of them prior to the upgrade and then import them into a Confluence 3.5 instance.

User macros should be converted, but if they're not then running the data migration task again should fix them up. You may find that some user macros don't migrate over, in which case you may need to rewrite them.

As for the question 3:

We'll offer our usual support for any issues encountered, and in addition well take a backup of the instance prior to the upgrade. So have a test as soon as it's migrated and if we have critical problems we can roll it back for you.

As a side note, our hosted Confluence service is going to be discontinued in early 2013, at that stage you'll need to either host it yourself, find someone else to host it, or move to OnDemand. If you move to OnDemand then user macros won't be available, along with any custom plugin you have installed.

Check out this page for more information, some of the dates are out of date, but most of the information should be accurate. Let me know if you have any questions about that process.

Hope this can help other customers with the same type of questions as well.

Regards,

Rodrigo

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events