Please elaborate recommendations on hardware

Nik August 3, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: JIRA Sizing Guide

Is it recommendations for application of DB server?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2016

Depending on if you use Microsoft or linux and what database server you want to run on top of that and how many users/issues/projects you are scaling it for. Be a bit more specific with details. A db server for a 100 user JIRA deployment varies a little from one that will run 10.000 users.

Nik August 3, 2016

Hi Jonas! Thanks for following up and sorry for confusing. Let me elaborate my question. As far as I see the original article (https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/jira-sizing-guide-461504623.html) describes the configuration where application server and database are running on the same machine. I am curios how the recommendation might change if we have a different machines for application and database (as in case of my client). For example - is it critical to have SSD for application server or it only required for database server.

Thanks in advance!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2016

The SSD is highly recommended for the application server (primarily, the index directory).

A lot of the systems I work with are separate database server/application server pairs, and I've not seen any that seem to need SSDs for the database side.

Suggest an answer