Planning upgrade of Jira AND Confluence; which should I upgrade first?

ddigioia August 26, 2012

Jira is set up with Delegated LDAP authentication directory. Confluence is set to use Jira for authentication.

I plan to upgrade both Jira and Confluence to the latest versions, but I'd rather not upgrade both during the same maintenance window.

They are on the same server, and use the same MySQL DB, which is located on another server.

Which one should I upgrade first for the smoothest upgrade?

Current versions:

Jira: (v4.4#649-r158309)

Confluence: 3.5.9

Thanks,

David

2 answers

0 votes
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2012

I agree with Harry. I've done both at the same time before and it is a bear if things go slightly wrong. Please tell me they are running in seperate instances of Tomcat. If they are in the same, definately do not upgrade both at the same time or even in the same window. If you experience an out of memory error or a crash it can be very painful.

Start with Jira. Get it upgraded and stable and then upgrade Confluence. Also make sure your plugins that you use are stable on your targeted versions.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2012

Hi, can you let us know what versions do you plan to upgrade to? I wouldn't definitely test the upgrade in a UAT instance and make sure both JIRA and Confluence would work correctly in production.

With JIRA and Confluence, I would suggest the important thing to consider is if you are usign application links and if upgrading will change things.

For your situation, I'd prefer to have JIRA upgraded first due to the user directory coming from JIRA. However, best to test it out in a test environment either way.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events