Planning upgrade of Jira AND Confluence; which should I upgrade first?

ddigioia August 26, 2012

Jira is set up with Delegated LDAP authentication directory. Confluence is set to use Jira for authentication.

I plan to upgrade both Jira and Confluence to the latest versions, but I'd rather not upgrade both during the same maintenance window.

They are on the same server, and use the same MySQL DB, which is located on another server.

Which one should I upgrade first for the smoothest upgrade?

Current versions:

Jira: (v4.4#649-r158309)

Confluence: 3.5.9

Thanks,

David

1 answer

0 votes
Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2012

Hi David, Since you are currently running on JIRA 4.4 and Confluence 3.5, and Confluence user management is delegated to JIRA, then I think that the upgrading process should be pretty straightforward. This is because JIRA 4.4 has already shipped with bundled Crowd, and Confluence 3.5 is already made compatible with the new user management structure in JIRA.

Anyway addressing your inquiry here, since you would like to upgrade both JIRA and Confluence, and Confluence is using userbase in JIRA for authentication, then I think you may try to start upgrading your JIRA instance first. After upgrading JIRA, then you may try to authenticate user in Confluence and let's see if things are working properly. If everything is good, then you may proceed in upgrading Confluence next.

More details on upgrading JIRA and Confluence, you may refer to the following documentation:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Upgrading+JIRA
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Upgrading+Confluence

You may kindly try to perfrom a test upgrade first on a test environment in order to ensure that the upgrading process for both JIRA and Confluence is performed smoothly. If all is good, then you may proceed in upgrade your production instances.

Hope that the info helps!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events