Options for 2 teams working off the same backlog

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2012

We are building a backog for one feature with user stories which will be worked on by 2 scrum teams.

We are not yet in a position to upgrade JIRA to 5 and so can't go to GreenHopper 5.9.x and use a RapidBoard. Not being able to add items to a Sprint (added in 5.9.1), is a blocker to replacing the task board for us.

Previously when working with mutiple teams under a same project we have used different fixVersions to filter the task board for each team.

We could also have a project context for each team, use the same FixVersion and filter on labels on issues.

I am wondering is there a smarter way. I have heard about hierarchical backlogs but not sure if relevant as we can't necessarily split our backlog functionally.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2012

We have stayed with different fixVersions and find it a bit more intuitive than having different contexts. We have also added an issue type of story bug at the same level as sub-tasks.

Shawna Schnorr July 11, 2012

We basically use boardtc's method.

We have a child fix version for each team, which rolls up under a sprint, then the sprint fix versions roll up under the release.

I think heirarchical backlogs are just another form of the child-parent fixversions. So why split out the backlog ... you only want to see it split out when the work is "in sprint".

0 votes
Juan Boscardin December 4, 2017

Folks, Nowadays Jira Server version have had for a long time the ability to create boards based on the users, etc. So we use that and run parallel sprints for a  project (one per each of the three sub teams working on this same product backlog).

But Jira reports are a mess with parallel sprints, specially gadgets and velocity. Do you have a solution for that?

Thanks a lot 

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 10, 2012

To handle multiple teams, it is not needed to have multiple fixVersions, as you said different contexts are sufficient. We had a Assignee changed to the team email-id and contexts were created based on this. That was sufficient to handle multiple teams.

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 10, 2012

Thanks. Do you see the team contexts as filtering on a label? That means that any new issues created (bugs) need to be laballed as well, I was hoping to avoid this step which is error prone. That's why I was wondeirng if there were smarter options.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2012

No, we created the filters with two conditions.

• With assignee as any of the team member or the common team email id

OR

• Reporter as any of the team members (for Technical Tasks for Task Board usage for Sprint Burn Down)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events