Only release subtasks from Kanban board when parent is closed too

Is it possible to configure a kanban board to ignore closed subtasks as long as the parent issue is not closed? We are working with developer branches in scm and split stories into multiple tasks. As long as there are open tasks (or the parent is open) I don't want tasks to be assigned with a fix version when I press release. Most likely the dev branch is not merged yet and the commits on those tasks arn't included in the release practically.

Also I'm happy with workarounds.

Thank you! David

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Atlassian is bothering me to "be a good Answers citizen" and make this question look up-to-date.

So I share with you what we have done so far to work around this release issue:

1. Added a new state in the workflow called 'release', with transition from 'closed'

2. Added a new, right-most column to our kanban board called 'to release'

3. Modified the work filter of the kanban board to omit closed tickets older than 7 days (tickets without a fixVersion - tasks without code commits - have to disappear somehow)

4. Asked the team to move tickets to release column once corresponding developer branches were merged to the trunk.

Better ideas?

Many tanks!

David

This widget could not be displayed.
Timothy Chin Community Champion Nov 14, 2013

Is it possible to configure a kanban board to ignore closed subtasks as long as the parent issue is not closed?

That should not be possible. It would be better to use workflow conditions and validators to make sure that issues going into the right most column (which is the release column essentially) meets all your requirements.

Thank you Timothy. That would mean I try to prevent Jira from setting a fixVersion for a subtask as long as the parent issue isn't closed yet, no? How do I do that in Jira? Setting a fixVersion is not part of the workflow as far as I know. In principle I do not see a problem with my workflow. I don't want to add another column only to separate done subtasks from the done parent issues.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted 7 hours ago in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

13 views 0 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you