On Demand Plugins

T G August 21, 2012

Hi,

I have a trial on-demand JIRA, why are plugins missing, why doesn it says this "Atlassian OnDemand comes with a set of pre-defined plugins. Customers are not permitted to install new plugins or remove existing plugins. The commercial plugins require separate licenses and the bundled plugins are included with the service. All the plugins can be enabled, disabled and/or configured via your OnDemand administration console. What is this "service" which is different from the on demand subscription to JIRA?

Thanks,

Tim

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2012

There's no difference. The trial lets you try Jira OnDemand, as it would work if you decide to go ahead with it.

Neither the trial nor the full OnDemand instance allow plugins beyond the standard set Atlassian have chosen to deploy. Some of these are free and active by default, others you need to pay for and get activated.

SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2012

Thanks Nic - details are on the Plugin Policy page:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Atlassian+OnDemand+Plugin+Policy

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2014

Atlassian renamed it recently. As it's Confluence, it's linked to the new name beneath the error message - try following that link.

MohammadA April 28, 2014

The link is not working.

MohammadA April 28, 2014

So fact of the matter is we can not install our developed plug-in on ondemand?

we need to first share on market place and then only we can install it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2014

Not quite.

There are two types of plugin now (well, three, but let's not get too complex)

"Traditional" Type-1 and type-2 plugins are bundles of functionality that hook directly into the core of Jira using the plugin framework. A lot of what you think of as "Jira" is actually plugins (e.g. all the customf fields) which are bundled into the installation.

You can write your own type1/2 plugins, but you can NOT install them in OnDemand. Atlassian have a list of approved plugins that they will allow in OnDemand, but to get your plugin listed, you'll need to talk to them about getting it on the approved list.

The other type of plugin is an Atlassian Connect plugin. These can be added to OnDemand.

So, I guess the question is what type of plugin have you written?

MohammadA April 28, 2014

Yes I know about that type thing of plugin. I have developed couple of type 2 plugin but didn't find direct option to install it.

So how to contact them. Do I need to drop an email or what? Or I have to put it on atlassian market and then I can have it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2014

Definitely need to put it in the marketplace first, then contact Atlassian. I should point out that unless your plugin is likely to be widely useful to a lot of OnDemand customers, you probably won't get very far - the criteria for adding new plugins to OnDemand is quite narrow.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2016
1 vote
T G August 22, 2012

Thank you both, so for example there no plugin manager in the on-demand for the ones you can, how do you pay to get someone to do it? How do you get it from the marketplace to the on-demand if the only option is "Download" for on-premises?

Maybe the plugin manager is a bad example, say something else, how do you know if a marketplace plugin is allowed or not in on-demand?

Thanks,

Tim

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.upm.atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-plugin

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2012

You're missing the point.

There probably is a plugin manager in OnDemand. Atlassian probably use it to handle licenses, configuration and enabling and disabling.

But they do not let the users have access to it, and they don't allow plugins to be installed unless they are happy to support them.

You can't get anything from marketplace to OnDemand - the whole point of their restrictions for OnDemand is that you can't install any plugins they don't want you to.

To know what you can and can't have, read the page Simon linked to (Apologies, I should have posted that originally). It's got the current list there.

This is not a bad thing - it's about testing, stability and supportability. There's no way on earth I'd volunteer to support plugins I hadn't thoroughly tested on a hosted system - I take it on as part of a client contract, but that's a handful of clients, each on one or two systems, not thousands of them! Atlassian are working on both expanding the range of plugins they support, and letting you have more flexibility to install what you want. But the policy at the moment is a fixed list.

T G August 22, 2012

thanks, I get it now, I'm new to the jira design concept so I thought they were little VM plugins or something, or something like the salesforce app exchange.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2012

Actually, they are. But only if you're in full control of your own Jira, or your hosting company is happy to install plugins.

For example, I think Appfusions allow a range if you want to ask them. Note - that's not an endorsement or advert, I've not worked with them and have no affiliation. I just suspect Ellen will pipe up if she spots this conversation, and I thought it was worth mentioning that there are more alternatives.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events