• Community
  • Questions
  • Notifications and Activity Stream incorrectly shows Reporter created issue

Notifications and Activity Stream incorrectly shows Reporter created issue

In our environment, for documenting certain issues, issues are being created on behalf of users where one will set the reporter as a specific user. However, the notification / activity stream will display the reporter has created the issue when they really haven't.

I'm surprised there is no creator field that gets populated, different from the reporter, that would be used for notifications / activity streams.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

Indeed this is a known behavior in JIRA, and we are tracking an Improvement Request at jira.atlassian.com to address this:

As this feature request is not yet implemented, I'd advise you to follow up on the ticket create to fulfill this need at jira.atlassian.com, and to take the time to vote on the feature to increase its popularity. Also, please feel free to add any comments you think are necessary and/or important to the feature request. In addition, more information about how Atlassian implements New Features can be found in the Implementation of New Features Policy.

What I've been testing here, and that could possibly help to workaround this issue, would be to create a custom field (e.g. Original Creator), which would be populated with the user creating the issue. To do this, you'd need to:

1. Add a User Picker Custom Field;
  2. Add the field only to the screen associated with the View Issue operation in your Screen Scheme - this way no one will be able to update this value later;
  3. Add a Update Issue Custom Field post-function in the Create Issue transition to update the value of the field to the '%%CURRENT_USER%%' - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/zACAEg.

This way, when an issue is created the user who actually created it will be stored in the 'Original Creator' custom field. If you wish, you can add this custom field to your email templates, for example. Anyhow, this is just something I thought to keep track of who originally created the issue.

I just followed your workaround and it works for Create, Edit, View screens as supposed. However, if I do a bulk change from issue navigator I am able to change this value - any idea how to prevent this ?

How are you creating issues on behalf of users? Are you using jelly scripts?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Alexey Matveev
Published Saturday in Jira

How to run Jira in a docker container

Everything below is tested on Ubuntu 17.10. I prefer to use Jira in a docker container because: 1. I can install Jira with a couple of commands. 2. I can start and stop Jira just by starting and s...

101 views 2 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot