Notifications and Activity Stream incorrectly shows Reporter created issue

Steven Lam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2013

In our environment, for documenting certain issues, issues are being created on behalf of users where one will set the reporter as a specific user. However, the notification / activity stream will display the reporter has created the issue when they really haven't.

I'm surprised there is no creator field that gets populated, different from the reporter, that would be used for notifications / activity streams.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2013

Indeed this is a known behavior in JIRA, and we are tracking an Improvement Request at jira.atlassian.com to address this:

As this feature request is not yet implemented, I'd advise you to follow up on the ticket create to fulfill this need at jira.atlassian.com, and to take the time to vote on the feature to increase its popularity. Also, please feel free to add any comments you think are necessary and/or important to the feature request. In addition, more information about how Atlassian implements New Features can be found in the Implementation of New Features Policy.

What I've been testing here, and that could possibly help to workaround this issue, would be to create a custom field (e.g. Original Creator), which would be populated with the user creating the issue. To do this, you'd need to:

1. Add a User Picker Custom Field;
  2. Add the field only to the screen associated with the View Issue operation in your Screen Scheme - this way no one will be able to update this value later;
  3. Add a Update Issue Custom Field post-function in the Create Issue transition to update the value of the field to the '%%CURRENT_USER%%' - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/zACAEg.

This way, when an issue is created the user who actually created it will be stored in the 'Original Creator' custom field. If you wish, you can add this custom field to your email templates, for example. Anyhow, this is just something I thought to keep track of who originally created the issue.

Ingvar Örn May 2, 2013

I just followed your workaround and it works for Create, Edit, View screens as supposed. However, if I do a bulk change from issue navigator I am able to change this value - any idea how to prevent this ?

0 votes
dleng
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2013

How are you creating issues on behalf of users? Are you using jelly scripts?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events