Need to upgrade JIRA from 3.13.1-#333 to v4.2.4-b591#591 but license already expires

Indra Gunawan August 21, 2012

Hi,

I need advice on how to pursue an upgrade of Jira from 3.x in team supported environment to 4.x which then we intend to export the projects to IT supported JIRA in our company. The IT supported JIRA is already version 4.2.4-b591.

The unlimited license for our instance have already expired.

On My Atlassian account, the JIRA license is stated to already compatible with jira 4:

"This license is compatible with JIRA 4 or above and includes Unlimited users. If you are using an older version of JIRA, you can generate a compatible license key."

Can I generate the developer license and upgrade?

Furthermore I found this on the Wiki:

"If you are upgrading from JIRA 3.x or earlier AND you used the Labels plugin in that version, then you need to first upgrade to JIRA 4.1.2 or earlier, otherwise all saved filters that use the Labels custom field will be removed during the upgrade." Is the upgrade a 2 step process then?

Thank you.

-Indra

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2012

Yes, your upgrade will be a two step process, because of the labels issue. I'd recommend going to 4.1.2 first.

The licenses are a bit more complex, but the important points for you are:

1. The license format changed between 3 and 4. You can't use a v4 license in a v3 system, or the other way around. However, you can swap between the license formats in your atlassian account, even if it has expired. As your license is already in v4 format, you should be fine. But don't worry about it, you can swap.

2. Your license expiry date is important. You can NOT upgrade to a version that was released after your license end date.

Indra Gunawan August 22, 2012

Thank you for your answer.

Our JIRA unlimited user commercial maintenance license already expired on 15 Apr 2011.

JIRA 4.1.2 was released on Jun 18, 2010 and JIRA 4.2.4 on Feb 8, 2011. So we are ok. However, the license already expired, can I attempt an upgrade?

Thank you.

-Indra

SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2012

Hi Indra,

Yes - your license entitles you to any JIRA versions released before your license expired. However, if you want to upgrade to the latest and greatest version of JIRA, you will have to renew your maintenance.

Shoot an email to sales@atlassian.com if you'd like to start that discussion.

Suggest an answer