Need to open ticket via email then reply to it to add comment

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2012

Problem is I have 3 projects wih 3 different emails used to open tickets:

A@domain.com

B@domain.com

C@domain.com

email notification sender is jira-admin@domain.com

when ticket is created or any noification happens we recieve email from jira-admin for the opened tickets so how to reply to tickets ? the To field will be jira-admin@domain.com

This is a requirment please help. is there any work arround or certian setup I need to considser?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2012

Is your question about the from address you receive emails? That is a parameter which is configure in each of your project (project admin page) called "Mail Configuration: Mail notifications from this project will come from 'yyyy@domain.com' (Edit mail configuration) "

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2012

Really thanks I was not aware of this field setting on the level of the project. its a simple answer

Really thank you alot!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2012

Albeit, not an answer to what you originally asked.

Also, bear in mind the scenario where you set up two separate outgoing email addresses:

1. Project 1, called ABC, emails out as project1@domain.com
  2. Project 2, called XYZ, emails out as project2@domain.com

Now, you set up 3 email handlers, so that

1. Email sent to project1@domain.com will create issues in project 1
  2. Email sent to project2@domain.com will create issues in project 2

You will get

1. Someone replying to an email about ABC-123 from Project 1 will create a comment on ABC-123, assuming they don't mess with the subject line
  2. Someone replying to an email about XYZ-123 from Project 1 will create a comment on XYZ-123, assuming they don't mess with the subject line

What you might not expect:

• If someone sends an email to project1@domain.com, but uses a subject that contains XYZ-123, then it will comment on XYZ-123, not touching project 1.
wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2012

its ok, by the way, my question has been solved from the notificaion scheme. I have changed the Project Email Address.

0 votes
wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2012

No need for help. I will consider this as un answerd question. because I'm asking a Yes/No question in the last comment. well i have read the documentaion. if support is about reading this is not a support session.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2012

Your yes/no question has a clear answer of "No". The documentation makes no reference to notification schemes, so I don't know why you've even asked about them - you appear to be jumping around grasping at straws instead of reading and then explaining clearly what parts you don't understand.

The answer to your original question is covered in the documentation and answered in my original answer - the bit in bold.

My best guess is that you are not grasping the fact that there's no way Jira can guess what project you might want to create an issue in from a block of potentially random text, and hence the handlers have to have a "project" parameter to know where to create new issues. As it says in the documentation. If you want to create issues in separate projects, you need separate mail boxes, or to install an advanced handler (my standard trick here is the JEMH, which covers all sorts of advanced clever email tricks superbly)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2012

The documentation is at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

It does state how the create/comment handler works - it will find the issue key in the email subject and use that to decide to comment instead of create, irrespective of the mail accounts used.

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2012

Yes but my question is not on the create, the reply to it will reply to the sender email which is not the same email JIRA service use to scan any incomming email.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2012

I'm trying hard not to be rude here, but could you please re-read my answer, and maybe the documentation? I will embolden the part you have ignored.

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2012

Im deploying JIRA as an enterprise or wide deployment scale, we have multi departmets then multi projects.

Default notification will come with the name of jira-admin as smtp. I'm I wrong please correct me if this is not proper thinking, if there is a special setup Im not understanding

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2012

Even if I added the same name, example above A@domain.com , this is now fixed to A project then how about other projects?

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2012

we simply cannot put one of the emails(A,or B or C) in the From address in SMTP mail setup. this works if we have one project only. correct me if I'm wrong.

Is this has something to do with overriding it in the notificaion scheme on the project level, so JIRA knows to which project and to use which email when sending the noification first time?

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2012

I think this will not work with our case. becasue we simply cannot put one of the emails(A,or B or C) in the From address in SMTP mail setup. this works if we have one project only. correct me if I'm wrong.

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2012

No need for help. I will consider this as un answerd question. because I'm asking a Yes/No question in the last comment. well i have read the documentaion. if support is about reading this is not a support session.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2012

Argh. Could you please read the documentation? Jump to the "create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue" and read the section about the "project" parameter.

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2012

Mr. Nic, Check my last comment, I have nothing to do with the handler or the SMTP and all my settings was ok The problem was best idenifying my question. and i don't know why you are sill angry when replying, I'm expecing the best answers, you can check the right answer above.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2012

I am sorry, as I seemed angry, I didn't mean too. It's just that your question was answered in the documentation, and you didn't seem to be reading it or my responses at all. I was not able to grasp your follow-up questions, as they didn't seem to be related to what I'd said, or the documentation.

The answer you've accepted as correct was not mentioned in the original question at all, and was not very clear in your responses either. I applaud Renjith for untangling it (or reading your mind) so well!

I've commented on that to warn you of a possibly unexpected behaviour though, as it's caught a few people out. I think it's correct behaviour, but it might seem a little odd when you're testing.

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2012

No problem, but at least Renjith answer solved our issue in the customization. remaining things we will handle it, well every thing might be in documentation, but it seems you think I'm not reading. I do beleive my question is clear enoghh and I was asking about things else might affect or solve my case in my previous comments. Mr.Renjith is not reading my mind.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events