Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple directories in Crowd - can we create user in 1st and group in other directory and assign user to group?

Archanaa Panda November 14, 2012

In my enterprise installation of Crowd, I would like to create multiple directories - the first directory would be a Delegated Authentication Directory - so that users can be authenticated by my enterprise microsoft AD LDAP. The users in this directory would be employees of my organization.

The second directory I would like to create for non-employees like contractors or client counterparts.

To this instance of Crowd I would be connecting my JIRA, Confluence and Fisheye applications.

Now I create a group corresponding to each project and to a group I want to add both the employees of Dir1 and non-employees of Dir2.

So, how should I go about it?

- Should I create the same group in both the directories? If I do so, will crowd be able to recognize by virtue of same group name that it is the same group?

- Can I create the group in just DIR1 or DIR2 and assign to it users in the same directory + users of the other directory?

I am currently using Crowd 2.4.2 but I can upgrade to Crowd 2.5.x if there is an improvement/fix related to this query. Please advise accordingly.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
fsim
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2012

Hey Archanaa,

Group memberships across directories are not currently possible, so you will have to create the group in both Dir1 and Dir2. The group will be separated across directories, meaning to say that Crowd will treat them as separate entities, despite them having the same name. But, if you add both Dir1 and Dir2 to the list of directories mapped to an application, for example, Confluence, Confluence will treat these 2 groups as the same group, and its members will be aggregated in Confluence, and if you view the group in Confluence, you will see its members from both Dir1 and Dir2 (in Confluence).

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any doubts with this.

Thanks and Regards,
Foogie

Jonathan Derham February 6, 2014

Hi Foogie,

This is certainly the case with Confluence, but I've found with Crucible/Fisheye (v2.10.7) it only sees the groups in a single directory- ie, the directory that the user was authenticated through.

Can you please let me know why this is the case? Or if there is a way, how to get Crucible to amalgamate the memberships from multiple directories?

Thanks,

Jonathan

0 votes
Paula Mercer-Fiola February 9, 2014
Amalgamate....reminds me I love amalgamated rocks.
0 votes
Jonathan Derham February 6, 2014

Hi Foogie,

This is certainly the case with Confluence, but I've found with Crucible/Fisheye (v2.10.7) it only sees the groups in a single directory- ie, the directory that the user was authenticated through.

Can you please let me know why this is the case? Or if there is a way, how to get Crucible to amalgamate the memberships from multiple directories?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events