Multiple Projects, Scrum Board Per Project, Scrum Board for all projects & issues with shared Sprints

Kai Harris March 13, 2013

What works well

• 5 developers working on Multiple Projects
  • Each project has a Scrum Board
  • Each Scrum Board has sprints (ex. mar 4-15, mar 18-29)

It got even better

• We created a Scrum Board that includes all the projects
  • In "work" view developers can see their tickets across projects. hurray!

Then it sucked

• In "plan" view we want PM to see all tickets in a given sprint
  • The sucky thing is each sprint "mar 4-15" shows separately per project

Almost fixed it

• In the board with shared projects, I was able to move all tickets to a single sprint called "mar 4-15"
  • But the board with shared projects only shows sprints that are started.
  • I can consolidate sprints in the future.

Is there a way to show ALL sprints in "plan" view on a board that shares multiple projects?

Thanks,

Don

3 answers

0 votes
Kai Harris March 25, 2013

Hi Joanne, thanks for the reply. I have now looked into the new Release Planning feature, thanks for the suggestion. I think at this point we'll wait for a combined board update from Atlassian rather than combine everything into a single project.

Thanks,

Kai

0 votes
JoanneA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2013

Hi Kai,

Have you tried the new Release Planning feature in GreenHopper Labs? This will allow you to assign issues to different fix versions. In the latest release (which you should have now) you can view a "burn up" report for each individual version:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/GreenHopper+6.1.4+Release+Notes#GreenHopper6.1.4ReleaseNotes-VersionReport

Could you create a single board with versions to represent different projects? Would this report be sufficient?

0 votes
John Burns
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2013

The "planned" sprints only exist on an Agile board level, and do not actually "exist" in the same that sprints that have actually been started do.

I don't think the exact behaviour you are looking for is possible at the moment, but one question I have for you is: why do you have a separate board for each project in the first place? You can just have your one "super" board as long as all the developers are working on the same backlog anyway.

Kai Harris March 15, 2013

We have a requirement that each project should be able to have a independent burn chart for us internally and for reporting to our clients. If we put them all in one project, we can't look at the burn chart for a single project. Is there a way to achieve filtered reporting (burn chart specifically) if we use one mega project (aka. project-zilla)?

John Burns
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2013

That functionaility is not available as far as I know. So it looks like for this to work for you, you would need some kind of burndown filter, or shared planned sprints to be built into greenhopper.

Robert Wolf November 28, 2014

Kai Harris: There is nothing about "put them all in one project" - John says "why do you have a separate board for each project? You can just have your one "super" board" and he means to create "one board with multiple projects". But this is no solutions for us either. Our users want to have own board for own project.

Suggest an answer