Move Issue Function (or a Delete Issue Function)

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2013

I see the "Copy Issue Function" in the Post Function list and it does almost all I want. But it creates a COPY of my Issue, a clone in the target project.

I am looking for a Post Function that does a MOVE, not a clone.

Alternatively, I guess, I could use a Post Function that would delete the current Issue at the end of the transition, but I'm not sure how that could work.

I have looked at various add-ins, but can't find one that says it would do what I want.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2013

Gave up on this after realizing that it was really a bad solution for the "real" problem. The "real" problem was to be able to write a query that woujld show me the subtasks of parents that had a certain value in a field.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2013

We've done this a lot recently: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/150179/how-to-move-an-issue-programatically-to-a-different-project

A clone then a delete seems reasonably straightforward, although the user is going to see an "issue not found" page when the transition finishes.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2013

Moving an issue is not a simple process. Jira needs to check the target schemes for permissions and validity of data, ask the user to deal with discrepancies and then migrate it all.

That's why you've not found a plugin to do it - it's a very complex process (unlike cloning, where there's no potential to be changing the structure of your issue). I think writing it requires a lot of coding, even the validation that there are no questions to ask users about data change/loss is quite complex, and you probably don't want to do it as a post-function either, as subverting the workflow status in a post-function usually makes a complete mess of an issue.

Maybe if you explained the requirement, we could get you close without a lot of coding.

Suggest an answer