Modify/edit multiple test steps in JIRA(Zephyr)

sashirekha August 2, 2016

My scenario is explain below, I am looking for a solution that saves time

I have 200+ testcases in JIRA, I have to modify a URL that is present in step 2 in all of these 200 testcases. I want to change the existing URL to the new one in one go. Currently I am going to each testcase (issue) and manually deleting the old one's. Is there any way that I can do a 'Find' and 'Replace' kind of activity in JIRA , So that I can avoid going each and every testcase to update the modified steps.

2 answers

3 votes
G3 August 3, 2016

Sashirekha,

Your scenario is a great example supporting the benefit of "modular tests" for consistent process.  Here's what I mean and how that's done...

If STEP 2 of 200+ tests is the same process (logging in to a URL), my recommendation is that any consistently repeated STEPS should really be a separate, stand-alone, test case/script (or Zephyr Test issue).  This could be called the "<Application> Login Test".

All future tests that would include basic login process would reference the "<Application> Login Test".  This could either be a 'Given' identified in the test description/criteria - OR - as an actual STEP 1 of the new test... where "STEP 1 = Run TESTCASE-XX <with hyperlink to login test>" and the expected result is "TESTCASE-XX completed successfully".

This way, you only have to make the URL update in one location - that being the original "<Application> Login Test".  You then also can just plug-and-play that test anywhere the login procedure is needed.

I realize you will still need to update 200+ tests according to my suggestion.  But, in the future, if that login process (or URL) should change again - you'll only need to make the update in one spot.  Might as well make 200+ instances of hand-jamming work to your future advantage!

Let me know if you have questions about what I've mentioned.

Regards.

Patrick Tsang November 10, 2016

Can we have proper modularisation as part of Zephyr? So all I need to do is reference a test issue type so something like @ProjectName-UniqueID and that will provide a reference to the test step and when you execute the test, it concatenates all the test steps so you don't have to open multiple windows?

Shwetalini Kumari February 19, 2019

Any work updates on this, this feature is in the "pipeline" since 2015.

Salavdor F July 9, 2019

"STEP 1 = Run TESTCASE-XX <with hyperlink to login test>" - How do i add the link.

1 vote
Arun Ravindran August 2, 2016

Hi Sashirekha

Thanks for your interest in Zephyr.Currently there is no "Find and Replace" functionality at a test step level.

Currently the closest operation would be to use the Bulk change operation of Jira.

ie Navigate to "Tests"->"Search Tests".On teh landing page of Search results click on the cog wheel in the right top corner to Bulk Change.Follow the instructions thereby and use Edit Issues option .Once you scroll down you will see "Change Test Steps" as shown in the screen shot.Try for one or two test cases or in a test environment and see if it server your purpose else am afraid we could only raise this as a feature request with our product team for them to consider it some time in the future

BulkChangeStpes.png

Thanks

ZephyrSupport

Christopher Quidlat October 17, 2016

So if you select the "Change Test Steps" option and input some value in the Change Test Steps field, would that value be added to all the test steps of each test case selected or would it be added as an additional nth step to each test case selected?

Ciprian Smith October 20, 2016

Apologies if I have misunderstood this topic, but how do you specify the text to find and the text to replace? 

Also is this for a specific version, when I select this option I don't see any text field to enter any text.

I have a number of tests which require updating due to button label changes and so a search and replace would be ideal. 

Lara Ramsay November 21, 2017

In the solution above, we read:

"ie Navigate to "Tests"->"Search Tests".On teh landing page of Search results click on the cog wheel in the right top corner to Bulk Change.Follow the instructions thereby and use Edit Issues option .Once you scroll down you will see "Change Test Steps""

When we do this, we do not have an option to "Change Test Steps". When (what version) was this functionality added? Is there something the JIRA administrator needs to do to have this option present?

Like # people like this
Rawsan Mati December 17, 2017

No "Change Test Steps" option.

Like Brian Longstreet likes this
Sheri August 17, 2018

I also need the ability to

delete, insert or replace multiple test steps at once in one test

search and replace text strings in multiple tests

Has anyone found a way recently?

Sheri August 17, 2018

No "Change Test Steps" option for us either

Like Brian Longstreet likes this