Modify Workflow

Maggie Fender February 20, 2014

How can I modify an exsisting workflow? How do I get it to not be a draft? Then once I am finished modifying the workflow, how to reapply it back? The manual does not help me. Thanks!

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2014

Hmm, if the message that it is a draft appears, then it would mean that it is an active workflow. This is is basically a failsafe mechanism, to avoid the saving of any accidental changes on an active workflow.

In any case, once you have finished editing, there should be an option to publish the draft. This will make the changes that you have done on the workflow to fully take effect (as it will replace the active workflow). When doing so, you will be given an option to create a backup of the workflow (like I said, failsafe), it's up to you whether you want to keep a copy or not.

0 votes
Maggie Fender March 5, 2014

Got it! Thanks!

0 votes
Maggie Fender February 23, 2014

Thanks everyone for responding. I have Jira version 6.2. It is only the web version. So, I copy the workflow I want to modify and then I make my changes attach it to a scheme? Once I attach it to a scheme, can I then apply it to my Test Project to see if it works? Also, if you messed up how would you reapply the 'old' workflow?

Thanks!

Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 23, 2014

I think there shouldn't be a need to copy it first (unless it's the default workflow, or if you would like to keep things safe). If you do desire to first copy the workflow, then you would have to indeed :

1. Copy the workflow
  2. Perform the changes that you want
  3. Save it, and attach it to a workflow scheme (you can create a new one if you want)
  4. Configure your project to use the new workflow scheme

If the new workflow doesn't work as you expect, then you can just configure your project to use back the previous scheme (the one where it is still using the original workflow).

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2014

If you're seeing the option to "draft" a workflow, then the basic ideas have not changed since that was introduced (the editor has changed a lot, but the principles have not).

To modify an existing workflow, you click "edit", make the changes, then click "publish". That's it. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow#ConfiguringWorkflow-editingEditingaworkflow(if you're struggling with that, tell us which bit)

0 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2014

Hi Maggie,

Atlassian had made several improvement how you modify existing workflow in the next several releases so the method depends on the version of JIRA that you are using. So please provide this information and I or someone else will be able to assist you. In the older versions 5.0 or earlier the only way was to copy the existing workflow edit the copy and then assisgh the new workflow to the workflow scheme, etc..

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events