Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration current Confluence v3.1.3(Weblogic, Oracle 9i), target version 5.4.4(Tomcat, 11g). When to migrate the DB, Server?

Anoop Hallimala July 16, 2014

Hi,

We are looking to upgrade Confluence version 3.1.3 to 5.4.4. We are following the upgrade path 3.1.3 => 3.5.17 => 5.0.3 => 5.4.4.

Current Prod : Installed Confluence 3.1.1 WAR(Ear/war version) on Weblogic, pointing to Oracle 9i, in our prod.

Target : 5.4.4(any distribution type) on Tomcat, pointing to Oracle 11g.

Our initial thought on the upgrade steps:

Install Standalone version of Confluence 3.1.1 on Tomcat pointing to Oracle 11g(directly upgrading from 9i). Then, upgrade to 3.5.17. Then, to 5.0.3. Then, to 5.4.4.

Questions:

a) Can v3.1.1 be installed on Tomcat point to Oracle 11g, in the very first step?

If not, which version of Confluence(between 3.5.17 , 5.0.3 and 5.4.4) is compatible with Oracle 11g?

b) Can 3.1.1 WAR deployed on Weblogic be directly migrated to 3.1.1 Standalone distribution on Tomcat? (Since, we want to move to Tomcat and also upgrade to higher versions)

Could you please point us in the right direction? Also, links to any past discusssions on this topic would help.

Thanks,

Anoop Hallimala

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Branno
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2014

While Oracle 11g works in Confluence 3.1.3 it was not officially supported until 3.5. However it appears that 3.5 does not support Oracle 9i. So we are in kind of a Catch 22 scenario. This is why it will be important to test this before making change to production.

My recommended upgrade path would be:

Upgrade Oracle to 11g on the current EAR/WAR install > Migrate to standalone 3.1.1 > 3.5.17 > 5.0.3 > 5.4.4

To more specifically answer the question:

a) Yes, but it is not recommended. You should perform the DB upgrade first, verify it is working and then migrate to Tomcat from Weblogic.

b) Yes, simply follow the instructions here

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events