Migrating from Local users/groups to LDAP and/or Jira

Joseph Schnurr September 19, 2012

We currently have a bamboo server using local users and groups. We also have Jira w/GH and Fisheye, which both are configured to use LDAP with our Active Directory usernames. We are planning on upgrading to the latest Bamboo server ( and migrating from a windows server to a linux server. We were considering also migrating our user management to LDAP to be in line with Fisheye and Jira ( also we hope to fix our integration issues between bamboo and jira/fisheye as it currently doesn't work correctly ). The question we have is, as you cannot delete users from bamboo, is there a way to migrate to LDAP while retaining history of past builds as well as setup associations with existing build plans? Is there a way to map the local user to the LDAP user to all of that information is simply migrated over? And if that is the case, what happens if an LDAP entry is removed? Will the existing buildplans managed by this user still exist?

1 answer

1 vote
ArmenA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2013

Hi Joseph,

I see that you asked this long time ago, and I am not sure if you found any answer or not. Anyway, let me answer your questions.

>>Is there a way to migrate to LDAP while retaining history of past builds as well as setup associations with existing build plans?

Yes. When you migrate your Bamboo instance to use LDAP, it still can use the local users and groups as it's mentioned on this page. One thing you need to be careful before enabling the LDAP configuraiton is that you don't have any duplicate users or groups between LDAP and local ones.

>>Is there a way to map the local user to the LDAP user to all of that information is simply migrated over?

As I mentioned, you can have both, os there is no need to map or migrate any user accounts.

>>And if that is the case, what happens if an LDAP entry is removed? Will the existing buildplans managed by this user still exist?

Yes, all the related information will stay in Bamboo even if an LDAP account is removed (but that account cannot login anymore).

Cheers,
Armen

Suggest an answer