@Mention Autocomplete displays same user multiple times

We are having a couple of related issues that likely relate to our unique configuration.

Problem 1: When we @Mention a specific user (Andrew K), the autocomplete displays his name 3 times. This confuses users who are attempting to mention his name. From what I can tell, all three suggestions point to the same user profile, based on the URL that displays when I hover over each name. This problem happens in our Production envi, and is replicated across Firefox, Chrome, and IE, regardless of user. The same does NOT occur in our Dev envi.

Problem 2: When we search within Confluence for the same user (Andrew K), the autocomplete displays the correct name once, but also shows two other users who are not currently in our system. How is this possible? I will tell you how...

When we initially set up our instance of Confluence, we integrated our LDAP and used it to populate users and groups. However, prior to rolling out Confluence, our company was acquired, and we had to revise the user management and authentication plan. We disconnected from LDAP, wiped out all the existing users, and re-configured to use our new corporate SSO.

So it seems our Confluence instance is holding onto phantom users in a couple of different ways. Mostly these are annoyances, but we'd really like to find a resolution.

We tried flushing the User Information By Username cache -- that has not had any impact. None of the other User cache statistics were ever in use. Other than rebuilding the index, we're not sure how else to troubleshoot this problem. That work is scheduled to take place tomorrow -- Thursday 31 Jan at 3pm Eastern US time.

Any other suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

Re-building the index resolved both problems for us.

Hi Stephanie!

About problem 1:

I suggest a test to check if this issue is related to LDAP or the notifications itself. Try disabling the LDAP and mention an Internal user to see if this problem occurs.

Also, is important to check on the logs if you find any error about notification.

Re-building the index resolved both problems for us. Hopefully, this was only necessary because of our change of user management that left users from the old LDAP in the index.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Alexey Matveev
Published Saturday in Jira

How to run Jira in a docker container

Everything below is tested on Ubuntu 17.10. I prefer to use Jira in a docker container because: 1. I can install Jira with a couple of commands. 2. I can start and stop Jira just by starting and s...

227 views 6 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot