Mail handler - add users to a group by default

Blommetje June 4, 2014

Hi,

I have an email handler that I thought worked fine! Until I checked the mailbox and saw 90 emails not picked up by Jira.

Some issues are created, some not. The test says "Reporter (NAME) does not have permission to create an issue. Message rejected."

If I add this user to the group 'Users' he is allowed to create issues. However, I do not know whow ill send me an email, so how can I set up that new users created via the email handler are automatically added to this group?

I'm quite puzzled... and worried about the 90 incoming issues :'(

Thnx!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2014

I'm guessing the users that "didn't" work are all sourced from a ldap server without a JIRA right-to-use group? This may matter because if a user isnt created, it may not receive a group membership.

Either:

1. Bulk add all your potential users to jira-user users, and grant jira-users access in your project
  2. Make your mail handler do what you want
  3. Use JEMH to do this, one feature, is in Project Mappings, where, (for example), all mail to an inbound address X can, for each remote user, be auto created, and auto-joined to a group that is the lower case value of their email domain. That group can then also be automatically assigned to a Project Role, thereby avoiding that jira-users thing.

Blommetje June 9, 2014

Hi,

I think the issue is in sulution 1. Potential users are not by default granted access in the project. Where is this to be set up?

Thanks!

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2014
Blommetje June 16, 2014

I added the option that 'Anyone' is allowed to add issues to the project and everything works like a charm. Not sure if this is the best way, but sure ways real quick.

Thanks for thinking along!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events