Linking Issues to Test Cases?

Heath Birkholm June 10, 2014

Is there an automatic way to have the defects you add, when executing a test, link to the test case? I have noticed I have to manually link my bugs to the test they were found in, even though I add them as defects.

Also Is there a way to add a test case directly to an issue, instead of having to manually link them?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
G3 June 11, 2014

Hello again,

Now... On to your first question... it depends.

When executing tests (in the 'test execution' view) there are two places to enter defects. One is in-line with the test step. The other is at the top of the screen in a 'Defects' field under the 'Test Execution' section just below the 'Description'. Entering the defect (or other issue type) in the second location will link it directly to the test execution and create an automatic relationship that will appear in three locations:

1. The 'Defects' column of the test execution on the main test case creation page
  2. The 'Defects' column of the test execution on the 'Test Cycle Summary' page
  3. In the defect ticket/issue itself under the 'Issue Links' with a relationship statement "Affects execution of..." (followed by the test case)

Currently the defect(s) have to be created/linked at the test step, then again in the 'Defects' field at the top to keep accurate records (or to see which executions have defects at a glance in the three above locations... along with which specific test step experienced issues in the test execution).

It would be helpful if the defect entered at the actual test step in the execution would also be automatically added to the 'Defects' field under the 'Test Execution' section... to then be logged and appear in the locations mentioned above.

So, Zephyr, please consider that an improvement/fix in a future Z4J update.

Regards,

- Gray -

Heath Birkholm June 11, 2014

Gray,

Thank you for your quick response. I will implement your suggestions as part of my test creation routine.

Thanks again.

Heath

0 votes
G3 June 11, 2014

Hello Heath,

I'll start with your second question... and in my experience, no. My group is now in the habit of linking manually.

HOWEVER, here's a TIP. One thing that helped us with efficiency was when I added the 'Linked Issues' field to the 'Create Issue' process. That way when starting a test case while reviewing an issue (epic, story, improvement, bug, etc.) we select "Create Issue" from the issue being reviewed. This opens up the "Create Issue" dialogue/pop-up, we select the issue-type (to be created... test), and there is a field/section in that dialogue where we can link the issue we were just reviewing (usually the first one on the drop-down menu list).

Actually, we use the mouse-wheel click to start creating a new issue in another tab entirely. This is because once you select "Create Issue" on a screen the dialogue/pop-up will cover that screen. With a new issue being created in another tab we can switch between the issue being reviewed and the new issue to copy/paste Acceptance Criteria and other details.

By the time we select "Create" at the bottom that dialogue (or screen, as it is), we have entered essentially everything needed to start writing test steps when the new Z4J 'Test' issue is created. That 'Test' case will contain relevant links, descriptions (including acceptance criteria), labels, components, fix versions, etc.

Add the 'Linked Issues' field to the create issue process, or talk with your JIRA admin to make the request.

Regards,

- Gray -

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events