Linking Confluence product requirements to Jira project components

Thomas Hardin April 22, 2014

I want to use Jira to manage product related enhancements and issues where each product (project) would have a list of associated components.Our product offerings can be affected by multiple projects at any given time, so we have support teams that manage them individually. Each of the products may be comporised of seveal different components and/or software solutions. So, we have product management groups that maintain those requirements.

while we do have large projects that can span across several products at any given time, the moajority of our work is product enhancement. I want to use confluence as the source for maintaing the requirements for that product's components. Is there a way to add a link to the component properties in Jira that would enable a user to view those requirements?

And, can I usethe Jira Issues macro to display open Jira issues on the component requirements page?

2 answers

0 votes
Naama Lev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2014

Hi Thomas,

Thanks you for the infomration - i guess i come up with a similar structure as well :)

0 votes
Naama Lev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2014

Hello Thomas

Sorry for responding your question with a question - :)

I was just reading your question and noticed that you are dealing with the same complex situation that i am, in trying to implement conflunce and jira

Can i please ask you to share some information with me?

• Can you please let me know how do your manage your product Requirement?
  • Which project types did you created in jira and which issue types to you have in them?
  • Which space types did you create in conflunce?

Thanks in advance

Naama

Thomas Hardin May 5, 2014

Hi Naama,

Currently, we are working with Confluence in 3 ways:

1. As a Product Space where we can maintain the requirements for all components that support a given product. This product can encompass 1 or many differnet components, such as WTX, WMB, DB2, etc.
  2. As a Team Space for both Business and Technical so that they can collaborate on project or information directly realted to them specifically. Each space is also used as a small dashboard for open projects where they are involved.
  3. As a Project Space where both Business and Technical resources assigned to a specifc project or enhancement request can collaborate about all aspects involved.

We are using Jira to manage Issues (enhancements, defects, tasks, etc.) and want to set it up so it is inline with Confluence, specifically with the Project and Products. This way, we can use the Project feature as:

1. A Product Space where components can be assigned tickets so we can track work against each one. there can be multiple requests impacting one component at any given time.
  2. A Project or enhancement space for those requests that have a start and stop.

Our goal is to be able to link the 2 together, so that when requests come in, we can create the tickets in Jira, but provide the dvelopers with the ability to review and collaborate on the requirements in Confluence. This way, when we have mulitple projects going on multiple products, we'll know how best to manage those with interrealted dependancies.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events