Let me know how to recover system admin rights.

Neena Goyal August 5, 2012

I have administrator permissions and would like to search who all have the system admin rights to access JIRA.

Also let me know how can we add or remove a user from this permission.

3 answers

0 votes
Neena Goyal August 6, 2012

could you please share an update?

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2012

Hi NNG,

The following document will tell you how to run SQL queries on your database to discover who are the users with system-administrator privileges and then hijack one of their accounts to get sysadmin access: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Retrieving+the+JIRA+Administrator

However, my suspicion is that you are restoring a backup from OnDemand and this is why you are unable to recoved the sysadmin priveleges. In this case I believe you will find that using the username/password combination of sysadmin/sysadmin will also allow you to login to your instance and recover system-administrator privileges.

All the best,
John

Neena Goyal August 5, 2012

I tried sysadmin/sysadmin but its not working. I am not able to run queries. So let me know how I can view these system admin users.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2012

To recover admin rights, please follow the instructions given on the page John referred you to.

We can't tell you which approach is most appropriate because we don't really know what has gone wrong - you need to tell us what you have done (John took a guess that you're restoring an OnDemand backup - that's one thing it would be useful to know), what you've tried and what is and isn't working. E.g. can you log in at all?

I was having a on demand version earlier and got recently updated. I don’t have access to run SQL queries.

I just want to check who all have JIRA system admin rights as i need to remove some users from the group

yes i tried but JIRA system admin permissions does not appear when i click global permissions only JIRA administrators appear

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2012

Did you do what I have told you in my first answer ?

We have JIRA on Demand.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2012

then, you don't have any System Administrators, only Jira Administrators. If you can see them, as I told you in my first answer, you got everything you need.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2012

ok, I think, we're getting closer. Do you really use a self hosted Jira or are you using Jira onDemand ?

If you are using Jira on Demand, there is no System Administrator Permission, only Jira Administrator.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2012

Then, as above, you don't have system rights and won't get them. Your lower-level adminstrator accounts are maintainable as they always have been (updates would not have changed that)

As stated already, go to "global permissions" to see what groups have Admin rights and then use the group maintenance to view/add/remove the users.

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2012

Hi,

look at the global permissions and there click "View Users" (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions)

I hope this answers your question. I'm not really sure, because the description doesn't fit the headline of your question...

Cheers

Thomas

Suggest an answer