LDAP Imported 38,000 users for 10 user license

Gregg Shadel February 19, 2014

When I set up Jira, Stash, and then Confluence using Jira for authentication, with LDAP authentication, it added all the users from our University LDAP to the cache. So for my 10 user license, I have 38,000+ users in the cache. Most of these are students and alumni who will never be Jira/Confluence users. What is your recommendation for cleaning up the mess I've made? We are still early enough that I can start over, but I'm not sure what I should choose differently on the install to get LDAP authentication. Thanks - Gregg

1 answer

1 vote
Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2014

I think this should be OK as long as the count of members in 'jira-users' role does not exceed 10. Make sure that no more than 10 users can log in to your JIRA.

In your directory configuration, don't let it automatically add users to jira-users group.

If you already have 38k users in the jira-users group, you can use the following SQL query to clean-up.

delete from cwd_membership where directory_id = 10000 and lower(child_name) not in ('greggs', 'johndoe', 'janedoe');
commit;

Have up to 10 comma-separated names - make sure to keep at least one JIRA admin. Replace 10000 by the actual ID of your LDAP directory.

Gregg Shadel February 25, 2014

Our cwd_membership table is ok. It is the cwd_user table which has the extra records.

Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2014

Having extra records on CWD_USER doesn't matter.

Only members of 'jira-users' group count towards the licensing limit. << I assume that, under Global Permissions --> JIRA Users, you have specified only 'jira-users' group

For further reference, see:

Suggest an answer