Jira focused on my company`s customers

GabrielM August 29, 2013

I can tell the JIRA is much more focused in products and issues workflow than into the company`s customers workflow, when talking about, for example, a implantation process after a sales process is made (e.g.: Start -> Planning -> Installing infrastructure -> Configuring server -> Training/application -> Finish)

Is there any way i could use JIRA`s project management tool in order to control all my software implantation projects? (this way, all my projects would be, actually, my customers).

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2013

One project per customer is a pretty standard approach for many Jira sites.

The workflows are certainly more than capable of being built to support an implementation too.

You just need to spend a bit of time configuring it to support your processes. Off the shelf, it's aimed at development generally, but it's not that hard to make it do all sorts of other stuff.

GabrielM August 29, 2013

Hi Nic, thanks very much for your answer

How would I manage to configure this way? Would i need to create a new Issue type, called "Implementation"?

Am I able to associate different screens/fields per statuses or I will need to create sub-tasks? Each status of the implementation process demands different kinds of documents uploads. It would be really useful if I could manage to separate per phase

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2013

Without knowing your business model, I can't give you solid recommendations. But it does sound like an "implementation" issue type would be a good start. You can associate a different workflow with that, as well as define different fields to be used for it

Note that screens/fields are nothing to do with status - screens appear when you Create, Edit, View or Transition between status. You'd tie the fields to the issue type though, and you can do things like "create issue screen has 6 fields, but transition screen to close it has 12".

Jira is not a document management system though - it has attachments, you can add many to an issue, but they all land in one place. This is where you might want to think about using sub-tasks, as each sub-task is a separate issue with it's own attachment storage area. (I'd give this a go without sub-tasks at first, see if it works for you)

0 votes
GabrielM August 29, 2013

Thanks one more time, Nic.

I`ll give it a try!

0 votes
GabrielM August 29, 2013

Hi Nic, thanks very much for your answer

How would I manage to configure this way? Would i need to create a new Issue type, called "Implementation"?

Am I able to associate different screens/fields per statuses or I will need to create sub-tasks? Each status of the implementation process demands different kinds of documents uploads. It would be really useful if I could manage to separate per phase

Suggest an answer