Jira as a support desk

Hordur Ingi Bjornsson November 14, 2012

Hey

We are planning to set up an online support desk for our company and we are thinking about using Jira. Do we need to upgrade our Jira OnDemand for more users if we let our customers have limited access to Jira (will only be able to access one Project)? Do we also need to pay for more users for all our plugins, even though the customers will not have access to them? Is there a way to let users only have access to some plugins and avoid the additional fee for more users?

Cheers

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Miranda Rawson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 14, 2012

We happen to have some great documentation on this exact topic which you can read here.

If you want to use JIRA as a support desk, we would not advise to use the OnDemand environment. This is due to quite a few restrictions that occur when you move to OnDemand which you can also read more about here. For example, these limitations include the ability to run Jelly scripts, which are required to handle escalations. You also cannot use plugins on OnDemand, but only the ones that are included by default.

It would probably be best to contact one of our Experts who provide services such as customizations and hosting. You can of course opt to have it hosted locally.

I hope this is useful, and please let me know if I can provide anymore information.

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2012

i don't know how licensing works in OnDemand Jira..

but if you need to upgrade jira seats you must adjust the plugins as well to match the same users count.

so you can't have a 2000 users Jira license with a 500 users Greenhopper plugin...

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2012

Your plugin license must agree with your Jira license in terms of the number of people. Jira does not support the concept of limited access for plugins.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2012

Here is another answer related to your question. Read to the end since there are discussions about licensing in it unrelated to email.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/39912/how-users-in-jira-being-counted-as-a-license-user

Suggest an answer