Jira Search: Search can't drill down past the main Issue to sub tasks

Jennnifer O'Brien April 9, 2013

Hi, wondering if anyone can please help. I have a user that wants to use Jira for reporting on projects, so basically we have 8 projects at the highest level, below them then are other projects that are of issue type 'key initative', the below that are the subtask. The PM wants to be able to do a serch inside a project for a specific key initative and list the sub-task...i wrote this search thinking it would work

project = "<name of project>" AND issuekey = <issue key that is associated with key initative> AND issuetype = Sub-task

but no results are found

if i search for project = "<name of project>" AND issuekey = <issue key that is associated with key initative> it does find the key initiative(issue) but i can't find a search that drills down

There is a specific label against the Key Initiative and sub tasks and if i search for

project = "<name of project>" AND issuekey = <issue key that is associated with key initative> AND labels = EAADR then it just find the Key Initative again and can't drill down and find more.

any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2013

Jennifer

You can use the field parent = "issue key that is associated with key initative" to find all the sub tasks.

Best regards

Peter

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2013

you can use an OR in your queries, so just do a query for the main task (on issuekey) and combine it with the query for the sub tasks.

Like this : (query key initative) OR (query subtasks)

That should work.

Jennnifer O'Brien April 9, 2013

thanks so much peter, that worked. is there a way i can list the key initative and the subtasks all in one search?

Jennnifer O'Brien April 10, 2013

Hi Peter, thanks for your help with this. I am just learning how to do the advance search. Is there a limit as to how long the code can be...as in i want to identfy the project ad sub tasks but then want to see what issues within that are in specific status, backlog and To-do, do i section them off with () or what way do i write it? any help would be really appreciated...

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2013

Hi Jennifer, your search query can be as long as you want, but keep in mind that it might impact the performance of your search.

Some extra information about JQL (Jira Query language) can be found here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Searching

And here :

https://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/01/jql-the-most-flexible-way-to-search-jira-14/

I hope this helps.

Suggest an answer