Jira DB History logging logs two identical records for one change group, seems like a bug??

Eric Blair April 1, 2012

I'm doing some work inthe JIRA DB. I have noticed that when one updates more than one custom field in an issue, two identical group records are generated in the ChangeGroup table.

For example, I have two fields which I have updated, I then submit these updates. On screen they are displayed in the History tab under one group of changes with a timestamp and my login.

If I then check the ChangeGroup table, there are two identical records when I expect there to be one:

ID-issueid-AUTHOR-CREATED

498032-107133-mylogin- 2012/04/02 11:54:45.000

498032-107133-mylogin- 2012/04/02 11:54:45.000

Does anyone know if there's a reason for this, or does it look like a bug?

I'm on Jira v4.1.1 and DB version: 5.1.41-community-log

This causes many extra unnecessary rows to come up in join queries.

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2012

Could you look at the changeitem lines for the changegroup items? As Radu says, this simply shouldn't happen as the changegroup record should have a unique id.

I'd actually expect the database to have kicked back with something along the lines of "can't create new changegroup because the id is used already"

I have seen something similar though. I was able to create two changegroup records for the same change by writing some very dodgy post-function code for a custom field. It was writing it's own change history separately from the one Jira wanted to write. But I still got two separate ids on changegroup

Eric Blair April 2, 2012

I am not tampering with the DB, in fact we only have readonly access to the DB. Unless there is some Plug-in that is causing this.

There is no PK error being thrown either.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2012

If this is the case indeed, this is clearly a bug, but I'm not sure if it's not caused by some tampering with the DB . The ChangeGroup table should have an PK on id.

Eric Blair April 2, 2012

I am not tampering with the DB, in fact we only have readonly access to the DB. Unless there is some Plug-in that is causing this.

Suggest an answer