Jira & Confluences Installation classes & education

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2013

Are there any good classes for Installing JIRA? I saw the Atlassian University courses and they are basic. We have a lot if questions on upgrades. The previous installer is gone and installed JIRA manually. We want to install the plain vanilla versions with our custom plugins. We need spcific classes on the DB side and to verify why our server was setup in its current way.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2013

Not in the way you're hoping for.

If you follow the standard "here's how to install Jira and Confluence" documentation, you will end up with systems that work fine. They do assume a basic level of knowledge about the Operating System and Databases you are going to be using, and they make a handful of specific "if you are doing X with this config, then you need to do Y to make it work well".

But beyond that, if you've got config, tweaks, libraries or whatever that are not off-the-shelf, then you've done them for your own reasons, which we can't help you with.

Classic example - I built a test system on three RHEL 6 servers I'd been handed by our infrastructure team. I used our internal RPMs to install Java and the database server, then did Jira and Confluence as per installation docs. This all works absolutely fine.

But, when translated to live, the database needs some tweaks to enable the correct replication for backup, there's some SSL related tweaks as it's (sort of) public, some rsync and more database settings for failover/disaster-recovery. But all of those changes are because *we* need to do *our* things in *our* way. There is a good chance that some or all of them are utterly useless for other sites.

So, I'm afraid the answer to "why was our server set up this way" is "if it differs from the Atlassian documented setup, then it was done for your reasons and we can't possibly know why".

If I was in your position, I'd try building a test system from the docs, from scratch. Then compare all the differences with Live and investigate them.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events