Jira 5.0.7 log error ${issue.id} is not a valid reference?

jayasingh January 21, 2013

Hi All,

we have migrated jira from 4.4.4 to 5.0.7. when we click on the issue navigator tab we are getting the below error in log.

/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa [velocity] org.apache.velocity.runtime.exception.ReferenceException: reference : template = getEncodedBodyFromContent [line 1,column 59] : ${issue.id} is not a valid reference.

/secure/VersionBoard.jspa [velocity] org.apache.velocity.runtime.exception.ReferenceException: reference : template = getEncodedBodyFromContent [line 1,column 59] : ${issue.id} is not a valid reference

but this was not affecting any functionality in jira. How to resolve this error.

Kindly suggest.

Thanks,

Jayasingh

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2013

You have some plugin (mostly a custom field) that references ${issue.id} in the velocity templates or maybe in issue operations. The fix will be to change the reference to $!{issue.id}.

You will have to find the appropriate plugin though.

jayasingh January 27, 2013

Hi Jobin,

Thanks for your reply.

${issue.id} problem got resolved by changing the version of copy-to-subtask-plugin-3.0.0 to 3.1.1. But now we are getting the below error now

2013-01-28 13:33:23,663 http-8088-4 ERROR jirasupport 813x527x1 179l6ia 10.10.194.225 /secure/QuickCreateIssue.jspa [jira.cot.functions.CreateSubIssueFunction] Could not create sub-task
com.atlassian.jira.exception.CreateException: Error occurred while creating issue through workflow:
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultIssueManager.createIssue(DefaultIssueManager.java:472)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultIssueManager.createIssue(DefaultIssueManager.java:402)

kindly suggest

jaysingh

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2013

Um, I'm not sure that the copy-to-subtask plugin is the problem here. Your original problem was a display problem on issues. The copy-to-subtask plugin is procedural.

They could well be intertwined though. I suspect that your issue with the display has been fixed because the nwere version of copy-to-subtask plugin is not functioning at all, and hence it's not creating data that your display is struggling with. In other words, it sounds like a compound problem.

I don't know which would be easier to fix first, but I'd have a go at the sub-task one. Your error log isn't detailed enough though - we can see the error happening, but you need to find the error that's thrown by the sub-task plugin, rather than Jira (the classes in your posted log are part of the core and are just falling over because the sub-task is failing somewhere)

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2013

@Nic the fiurst one was related to Copy to subtask. It was using issue.id in a web-item and JIRA for some reason gets this referneece as null in the issue navigator, probably while rendering issue actions. I don't understand why it would be null because issue can never be null there but the issue goes away after using $!{issue.id} ;)

Regarding the new error, it seems to be coming from a different plugin. Looking at the package, seems similar to https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/129113/issues-facing-in-jira-logs-need-to-reslove-on-high-priority

Suggest an answer