JUnit @Rule ExpectedException marked as failure

Shahrin Khan December 18, 2011

Hi,

In the Clover HTML output, Clover marks JUnit tests that use the new JUnit @Rule ExpectedException to check for exceptions as failures, even though the test actually passes. I found this on the documentation: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CLOVER/Unit+Test+Results+and+Per-Test+Coverage however, the comment on it is not clear to me:

Clover does its best to record your test results in the Clover database. In some instances however, Clover can not always do so. Although unit tests using@Test(expected=Exception.class) annotations will be marked as passed, more novel JUnit constructs such as rules may not be recognized and Clover will flag those tests as failed when in fact they passed. To integrate these test results into your Clover reports follow these steps:

Does this mean that this is a known issue that can/will never be fixed, or will there eventually be some fix?

Thanks.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
mstudman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 19, 2011

Yes, this is a known issue. Unfortunately it's fairly infeasible for us to fix hence you will need to follow the workaround to get correct test results integrated into your Clover report.

Jason Thompson January 16, 2014

While it may be infeasible to fix all @Rule classes, shouldn't it be possible to develop a solution for something as common and helpful as the ExpectedException rule?

0 votes
oleksii_bondar September 23, 2016

Is there any update on this issue?

As an option to workaround this is to change all tests from @Rule to @Test(expected=MyException.class)? Is there any other way to approach it?

dimass July 24, 2017

Hi Oleksii,

Can't say if there are any solutions, but I'd like to note that migrating your tests from `ExpectedException` rule to `expected` parameter of `Test` annotation is not a good one: http://errorprone.info/bugpattern/TestExceptionChecker

0 votes
Lawrence Liu February 11, 2015

Dear, Is this issue still existing or has been resolved?

I am also facing this issue!!

Thanks.

0 votes
Hande Erdem April 29, 2013

I'm suffering from the same problem. ExpectedException rule is ignored and tests marked as failed even though they pass. I don't want to change 350 unit test . I'm trying to find a workaround but no success so far. I'm using Maven, please help!

Note: I'd be satisfied with just being able to say "includeFailedTestCoverage" in maven plugin.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events