JIRA upgrade from 7.3.1 to 7.7.1 (newest)

jakubiad February 5, 2018

Hi everyone, 

I want to upgrade my server JIRA (Software and Core) version from 7.3.1 to the newest one (7.7.1).

I'd like to ask, whether some issues might be occured during this process? I put this question, because "upgrade matrix" link in upgrading information section doesn't work. 

Here's the link https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftware/jira-software-7-7-x-upgrade-notes-941594485.html

Thank you in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2018

I upgraded my JIRA instance (Software and Core) from version 7.1.9 to version 7.7.0 with little to no issues. The biggest issue that occurred during my upgrade was SQL database connection string in the XML configuration file. The format changes during the upgrade due to a new SQL Driver but the format change in the config file was not changed automatically during the process. This caused some headaches but I figured it out. 

I followed this tutorial from start to finish (Upgrading JIRA Tutorial). I skipped steps according to my instance of JIRA. Make sure you backup your instance of JIRA (Settings > Backup system) and backup your database (mine was SQL so I just ran a quick backup), you are pretty much good to go. Just take it step by step, it may take some time but this documentation is pretty much spot on. 

With these backups, you should be able to upgrade or revert back if anything goes wrong. Please note, this is just the way I upgraded my instance, yours may be different. If you have atlassian support, they may be able to guide you through this process. 

jakubiad February 6, 2018

Thank you for your answer and advice!

Suggest an answer