JIRA cannot execute the Rank Operation

Linda Toler February 17, 2016

Users are getting an error message - JIRA cannot execute the Rank Operation/ system must be reindexed.  The borad has recently been configured to use the Rank Field.  

• Users did not configure the rank field at all.   Was JIRA Atlassian doing something in the cloud/maintance that caused this to occur?
  • Users cannot move backlog items to sprints because of this error message
  • Please advise

1 answer

0 votes
Tomi Junnila March 30, 2016

I was also seeing this behaviour in my JIRA Software instance, except my board hadn't been changed in years (and has been using the Rank field for about as long).

I noticed that issues created in the past few weeks had empty Rank fields (whereas the Global Rank and Rank (Obsolete) fields did have very large integer values).

LexoRank integrity checks report ok, but I noticed the number of ranked issues was less than the number of actual issues in the system, which was in line with some issues having empty Rank fields.

I fixed this by rebalancing the Rank field in the LexoRank management page. After a few tries, it eventually gave Rank values to all issues.

I used this query on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-11050 to find the issues without Rank values:

select p.pkey, j.issuenum, p.pname
from jiraissue j
left join project p on p.id = j.project
where j.id not in (select "ISSUE_ID" from "AO_60DB71_LEXORANK")
order by p.pkey, j.issuenum;

The underlying issue is still unresolved for me. I cannot think what would have caused new issues to no longer being issued Rank values; I upgraded JIRA to 7.0.9 from 7.0.0 in early February, and ranking has worked just fine until at least the end of February, probably mid-March. I did a configuration change to set up incoming email handling on March 21, and the issues created from those didn't get Ranks. However, neither did issues I created manually in the past couple of days so I suspect it's not due to to that change. Maybe some add-on update?

Suggest an answer