Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA Service Desk Failure Email Creation

Justin V July 13, 2017

I am running JIRA Service Desk 3.5.2 and have successfully configured the Service Desk to watch an email box for incoming emails, to which it should create a Service Request.

In the customers tab, I have included all of my customers, including my own account. Note that I have a seperate Admin account in Service Desk.

However, when I send an email to the email box, Service Desk does not create a ticket. When I go to Applications > Email Requests > View Log, I get the following error:

13/Jul/17 8:55 AM
FAILURE
You don't have permission to access this Service Desk.

I have set the project permission of 'Create Issues' to the Group of Anyone and the settings within Customer Permissions is set to 'Customers who have an account on this Service Desk'. Then, the Permission Helper lists that my account has access to create issues.

This ticket by email function used to work and then stopped.

Any thoughts? 

2 answers

0 votes
Justin V July 14, 2017

Underneath the Global Permissiosn tab, we had an Active Directory group listed for JIRA System Administrators. Removing this group fixed the access failure issue.

0 votes
Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2017

Did you remove the mail handlers access to the service desk? I believe the emails processed are seen as a system account not the actual user who submitted the email. 

Justin V July 13, 2017

I currently do not have any mail handers listed in Service Desk. I did not feel like they were needed, because the JIRA Conflunece page on configuring Service Desk emailing says it's not needed and mainly used for JIRA Core.

Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2017

You'll definitely need the mail handler or a registered email address to process incoming emails as Service Desk tickets. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/receiving-requests-by-email-747602718.html#Receivingrequestsbyemail-Verifyyourlinkedemailaccount

We use the Cloud email address and mail handlers to process incoming emails from both internal and external users. 

Justin V July 13, 2017

I added the mail handler and the system still reports a Failure message in the log.

Justin V July 13, 2017

After further testing, it appears that the issue is only with certain accounts listed as a customer. Any reason this happens only with certain accounts?

Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2017

It usually is a permissions issue at that point. Make sure you have it so anyone in the group Jira-User can "Browse Projects" and "Create Issues"

Justin V July 14, 2017

You would think that, as I did too.

Under both Browse Projects and Create Issues, I have the 'Anyone' group listed.

When I use the Permission Helper, it shows two green check marks that my account can create issues. Yet emails still report back with a failure status.

This is only a problem with a few select customer accounts in the list. Everybody else functions as intended.

Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2017

Im guessing you checked for Service Desk License and verified their Roles? 

Justin V July 14, 2017

You are correct in suggesting it to be a permission issue. I went into my Global Permissions and found that somebody had added an Active Directory group with a name of IT contacts to the Admins page. Removing the group fixed the issue.

Thank you for the support.

Like Deleted user likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events