JEMH: overwrite real user language for notifications (comments, resolve)

Tobias Reibling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2015

Hi,

I have the following problem: Via Project-Profile mappings, we are using different proxy users with different language settings as JIRA Reporter for issues created via external incoming emails to ensure that the (JEMH) on-create notification is sent in different languages, depending on the project the email was sent to. This works perfectly fine, external Non-JIRA users get the on-create notification in the language of the respective proxy user.

If now a "real" JIRA user (i.e. not the proxy user) works on such an issue, language for all notifications to external users will be the language of this user (who has written the comment, resolved the issue). In our case, this language is frequently not the same like the one "defined for the project" via the proxy-user. Is there a way to send notifications in these cases not with the "real user" language, but with the proxy-user language? I think using the user language is JIRA standard behaviour, but can we somehow overwrite the real JIRA user with the proxy user for external notifications for the given examples? That would not only be interesting for the language case, but also if you do not want that external users see the real, individual user who is working on an issue in the notifications they receive, but always see the proxy user.

Tobias

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2015

Hi Tobias,

we are using different proxy users with different language settings as JIRA Reporter for issues created via external incoming emails to ensure that the (JEMH) on-create notification is sent in different languages, depending on the project the email was sent to

Great use case!

Is there a way to send notifications in these cases not with the "real user" language, but with the proxy-user language? I think using the user language is JIRA standard behaviour, but can we somehow overwrite the real JIRA user with the proxy user for external notifications for the given examples? 

Not currently, the i18n support is built on the context of the user involved, an interesting use case.  Yes, your use case could be solved by adding a i18n context user picker in the non-JIRA notifications side? If empty, it would use the default 'action user' for i8n context.

That would not only be interesting for the language case, but also if you do not want that external users see the real, individual user who is working on an issue in the notifications they receive, but always see the proxy user.

Hmm, not quite, the i18n context is something used to resolve message bundle translations via a common key, it doesn't really affect the 'who' is reporter as doing the change.  If you want to remove the indicator of 'who' is making the change, you can already do this in JEMH by customizing (each) TemplateSet Involved, and/or overriding the macros involved that normally generate the 'header' with something that refers 'support' for example, rather than the user.  This is the kind of thing we've been working in JEMHC, which has a new concept of 'themes' comprising entirely separate templates, css and custom macro support.  This kind of thing is something on the JEMH roadmap for the future, for now you'll need to do hand edits as required, log a support request for further input if required.

So, I see one new feature here for i18n context for non-JIRA user notifications, please log that?

Tobias Reibling
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2015

Hi Andy, fast like always ;-) Thanks, I already feared that it would be this way (but I admit that this requirement is kind of special). Your suggestion for an enhancement sounds good and would be even more flexible compared to overwriting with the proxy user. I will create a feature request tomorrow. Could be a JIRA custom field to pick a user and if JEMH is made aware of the field, JEMH takes this user's language for the notification language in case the field has a value.

Tobias Reibling
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2015

Andy, there is no way to register for your JIRA instance to create an issue.

Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2015

Click 'Create Account' on https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/login?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events