It is possible to add a user group to all projects without editing each project individually?

motherg August 22, 2012

Currently we've got the product managers in seperate groups for each project (these groups have become a bit bastardised and now have other people in them as well).

What we want to do is move all the Product Managers in to one group (already done), and then add this group to the Product Manager role for every project, so that all the product managers can see all the projects (this is their requirement - the idea is that they can learn off each other apparently).

Is it possible to do add one group to all projects in one go, or do you have to manually add the group to every project? We've got about 30 so I was keen to see if this was possible.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2012

If the same group is going to be used in all projects and the role is only for certain permissions, you can add the group directly in the permission scheme.

motherg August 22, 2012

Brilliant, thanks chaps!

0 votes
motherg August 22, 2012

Thanks Bob - I'll have a look at getting the CLI plugin installed on our instance.

In your view, is this the only way to achieve my requirement?

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2012

Yes if you want to keep to a role based permission setup, but certainly Jobin is right too. I prefer to not to mix role based and group based permissions in a permission scheme except for a few special cases.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2012

I agree. One example is to give an auditor group "Browse" permission on all projects in the instance.

motherg September 12, 2012

Thanks guys, I went ahead and did this. The role based permissions is definitely going to be what we move towards at the moment, purely because our group based permissions are such a mess. When I've resolved that I should be able to break it back out accordingly.

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2012

Suggest an answer