Is there a way to rank stories along with epics

Nereida Lark December 23, 2014

I have a list of epics which all have stories.  I have stack ranked the epics, so naturally, I would expect the stories in my highest ranking epic to be higher than stories in my lower ranking epics. But this does not seem to be the case.  Is there a way to rank my stories along with the epics.  Example would be:

Epic 1

Story 1.1

Story 1.2

Epic 2

Story 2.1

Story 2.2

I need this so that when I export the data which is order by rank, it appears this way.  It would also be good for it to appear this way on the backlog as well.

Right now, I get Epic 1, Epic 2, Story 2.1, Story 1.1, Epic 2, etc....  I can rank within stories or within epics, but not within both epic and stories since they are on two different panels.

1 answer

1 vote
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2014

No, this is not how ranking is designed to work. Epics are intended to span across multiple sprints. There is no expectation that work on only one Epic can be done during a given sprint. If ranking was implemented in the manner you suggest, then it would be impossible for a team to work on two epics at the same time.

Ok. Could you help me understand what ranking epics would be used for or do you suggest that we do not rank epics just the stories within the epics.

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2014

You can prioritize epics above one another just as you would prioritize stories. They just operate on two different scales. One is used for decision making within a sprint, the other is used for decision making across multiple sprints.

Got it. That makes sense. Thanks.

Suggest an answer