• Community
  • Questions
  • Is there a way to clone or copy a project and all its issues into a new project in OnDemand?

Is there a way to clone or copy a project and all its issues into a new project in OnDemand?

We have JIRA, JIRA Agile, JIRA Capture, and Confluence OnDemand. We have one or more recurring projects that have over a hundred (hundreds of?) tasks. The tasks for each project are the same or very similar, so making a copy or clone of an entire project (less comments, probably) would be ideal. Since most of the useful plug-ins for this kind of operation are unavailable to us in OnDemand, is there another way? Bulk Move isn't an option because we need to keep the history. Help?

2 answers

1 accepted

I'll give it a try.

That would be great, Bob....except that it's not available for OnDemand users.

It is available for OnDemand. The JCLI client runs on your PC and accesses the OnDemand server. No server install is necessary.

OK, Bob. I'm thoroughly confused. When I look at the download page, it says "Licensed Software

Only paid or evaluation license holders should download versions marked 3.0 or higher. SeeAtlassian CLI license for more details." And when I click that link, it talks about plugins (which aren't avaliable for OnDemand users." So am I supposed to buy a plugin for the download version, then just use the client interface? I'm no tech whiz (can you guess) or I'd have JIRA on our server instead of hosted.

What I need to know is 1) can I use it to clone projects with their issues and 2) what is it going to cost?

Yes, it is confusing :(. We are working on improving that, but there are some current limitations with this type of product on the Marketplace. In the meantime, the FAQ on that page deals with this:

12. What needs to be done for OnDemand customers? The same license requirement applies, obtain a license for one of the CLI plugins for the download user level equivalent to your OnDemand instance. You cannot install the plugin in OnDemand, but that is ok - see #4.

I recommend you do a Try it free first to make sure it satisfies your needs. Then you can contact us directly with other questions.

Dear Bob Swift,

I used the JCLI to copy a project in the cloud succesfully, but all the issues and tasks are not copied. So I basically copied just the name and the workflow.

I saw the command cloneIssues, but this works only with Clone Plus. But Clone Plus works not in the cloud. 

Is there a way to copy also all the issues and tasks also in the cloud? Thank you for your help

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Alexey Matveev
Published Saturday in Jira

How to run Jira in a docker container

Everything below is tested on Ubuntu 17.10. I prefer to use Jira in a docker container because: 1. I can install Jira with a couple of commands. 2. I can start and stop Jira just by starting and s...

47 views 1 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot