Is there a bug/issue with Karma on Answers?

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2012

Earlier today, I had 675 karma. Then, I edited a comment (deleted some spam links) so my karma went up to 678 (edit is +3). I just noticed that my karma is now 666 (which is pretty awesome), but my karma history shows no changes since 9/12. Is anyone else having these problems? Is there something up with Karma on Answers at the moment?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2012

I have the impression that if you edit spam, you receive karma for a normal edit. When they delete spam, your karma is lost.

Well, this may have sense.

Edit: Editing your own answer / comment / question does not yield KP

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2012

gotcha...I guess that makes sense. So I guess I can look forward to my Karma returning to 666 :-). Thanks!

0 votes
Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2012

This just keeps getting stranger. I just edited another spammer comment to remove the links to their crap, and got +3 Karma. So I guess my hunch about no longer getting karma for edits was wrong...

0 votes
Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2012

weird. I know i was getting 3 points when I edited other people's posts (not sure about editing my own). It seems weird...you could definitely "cheat" the karma system and make all sorts of edits, so I'm OK with ending that practice, but it's funny to me that the old karma I got is gone. Oh well, it was only 12 points.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2012

I never got any karma for edits before.

0 votes
Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2012

Hmm...just checked out the list of ways to get Karma, and edits aren't mentioned. Maybe they no longer give karma for edits...and retroactively removed any Karma you had for an edit?

The list here indicates the awards given for various operations:

• Reputation given by signing up: 1
  • Maximum reputation a user can gain in one day for being upvoted: 300
  • Reputation a user gains for having one of his posts up voted: 15
  • Reputation a user loses for having one of his posts down voted: 1
  • Reputation a user loses for down voting a post: 0
  • Reputation a user gains for having an answer accepted: 25
  • Reputation a user gains for accepting an answer: 5
  • Reputation a user loses by having a post flagged: 2

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders