Is possible in Jira... ?

DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

Hi,

I need to implement the following scenario in Jira and I wonder if it is possible or not.

* I have two projects: Project A and Project B.

* In project A anyone could send emails to for example 'projectA@mycompany.com' to open new issues or comment. After creating issues, the email that just opened or comment the issue will continue to receive updates of this issue (for example new comments).

* In the project B, only some exactly emails can comment or open issues.

Is this scenario possible in Jira? How can configure it?

Thanks in advance!!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

Hi Daniel,

I think you need to describe a little more what the access is expected to be for the remote user. Are they JIRA users having a JIRA login (in which case the default create/comment handler would be adequate for this)? Or, are you looking at email interaction only?

Part 2 is more interesting, you will need to further define what 'some emails' actually means, eg users with Project Role X, from email domain Y? Did you want to do something more than this?

Depending on how your remote users are to interact really drives the answer, if the remote users have a JIRA account, their email will be associated with their JIRA user, will therefor be subject to the project permission scheme : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions If they do not have a JIRA account then something more complex will be needed.

I should also say, though you havent mentioned, if you are running OnDemand, you will be limited to the basic approach.

DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2013

In Project A, the emails that create or discuss issues doesn't have JIRA login. I'm looking for email interaction, where any user of service in my company can open or comment issues by email without create a JIRA user.

In project B, 'some emails' means that only email domain X can open or comment issues (without jira user/loggin).

I'm using Download, not OnDemand.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2013

OK, thanks. So Im pretty sure that JEMH is the only plugin that can help with this, it will support remote email only users, track who they are, and deal with updates, including CC's on the original.

Project B is interesting, but I think JEMH can do this too. In a JEMH Configuration without any 'Directives' that allow remote users to manipulate how issues are created, you can simply map a remote user domain to a target project, that functionality is found in Project Mappings, see this tutorial: https://javahollic.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/Use+Project+Mappings

How JEMH deals with the 'security' aspect, is that will only allow non-JIRA users to interact with the issue if they have already been included by the remote user as a CC: or if a JIRA user adds their email address (including out-of-domain).

In the case where someone not involved in the issue puts the target issue key in the subject to try and join in, the mail will be rejected. This security measure can be turned off, but then, this would allow anyone (from any domain) to phish the issue.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2013

hola daniel,

remember what i posted in one of your previous questions? :)

DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2013

I see that JEHM plugin is what is best for our requirements.

Suggest an answer