Is it possible to suspend JIRA indexing service for sometime and resume it again after sometime

Sridhar Nimmagadda July 2, 2014

Is it possible to suspend JIRA indexing service for sometime and resume it again after sometime

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2014

The details of my answer depend on what indexing process you are looking at really, but the overall answer is essentially "no".

I think a more useful question here is "why do you think you want to stop the indexing service"? As that will enable us to give you a more useful answer/explanation and probably help you get to your goal.

Sridhar Nimmagadda July 2, 2014

Nic,

OK let me explain, is it possible to copy the jira_home and jira installation directory and restore the database dump and create an exact copy of JIRA instance in a usable condition without reindexing ? for this the index files have to be in a consistent state.So, i was thinking if i somehow could stop JIRA reindexing service and take a copy of the index files, i am sure of it being in a consistent state.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2014

Ah, ok, that makes sense.

There's no point though. If you want an exact copy of a working Jira created from another one, then you need to STOP the Jira completely. Not just the indexing, you need to stop everything.

Once a Jira has been stopped, you can pick the whole thing up and copy it over.

Sridhar Nimmagadda July 3, 2014

Well I actually wan't to avoid reindexing when I recreate a copy of JIRA, i see only 2 variables here 1. database dump 2. index files

If i can somehow stop indexing serivce and take a copy of it, i should be able to recreate the JIRA instance without stopping other services.

Well, i understand that the index files and database state will be slightly off, i think this should be OK..

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2014

No, that's the point, they won't be "slightly off", there's a good chance that they will be completely broken.

If you copy a Jira that is shut down, you won't need to reindex. If you copy an active one, then in most cases you'll get a few blips in the index, but in some cases, you'll need to re-index completely (The last time I tested this in a DR scenario, it was around 40%).

Shutting down the indexing service while you take a backup is a complete red-herring, it will actually make things worse as the index you're copying will be even further away from the database.

Suggest an answer